Writing 2024

Everyone bumbles nowadays. I loathe to be a perfect example of modern oafery, though I found a bunch of websites that are still popular to my surprise. For this article, Medium and Wattpad. Both are great for writing and sharing ideas, albeit shortform.

Black and white it may be, my memory is too unreliable to be a modern man. I like to imagine new ideas and I can't be traditional if absorbing new information. So ideas like going to a website to write a novel seems kitchy, though in respects living in a box reminds me of working in a bar with primarily old regulars - a very traditional archetype. In London you can find tradition vs modern in fashion and it's visible in website job lists and spoken of like the weather. It's media and lifestyle. NerdZone, for example, is my latest forum to where it's my registered homepage.

These days websites have been offering less than the Adobe Dreamweaver and web forums from the 2000s. So why do people write on websites, then? Ignoring forums as a example here.

The websites, listed above, have a reputable view though when I compare to the early days of Piczo, the medium (no pun) is not even a factor. I recently thought that whenever I'm in Central London, or my local area, I feel this perspective hearing small talk or phone conversations. Where does storytelling redevelop in modern life? Stories are the form games, music and movies are told through. Rotten Tomatoes have been showing decline of those for a long time. I hope to one day see the white in the black and white on this topic. Nonetheless, I enjoy the small indie stories we have recently, and even for penny comics, old pennies eventually become pounds at least to collectors.

Regardless, to me devaluation of idea and individual is the biggest current daily issue. In an era of paid reviews, quality is sparse and when looking at whats available, I would like my writing to have a tiered reader, and not any old shmoe on Patreon who pays a certain amount. And that doesn't exist, to be frank. To put it in perspective, the news isn't worth more than 20p, a book is worth £14, and the internet is worthless (barring forums). Until a article reader donates me 12 grand I'm considering this as fact :)

So in short, 'free's good', but 'worth my time' is better, for everyone as a group.

Thanks for reading

Fountain pen.jpg

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think people get used to a certain framework to write on such as NerdZone. You get used to the way it looks, and performs for the writing responses you want to make.

Authors do have a unique writing conundrum, as you've mentioned between paid and free.

Crims

Wethermon
I think people get used to a certain framework to write on such as NerdZone. You get used to the way it looks, and performs for the writing responses you want to make.

Authors do have a unique writing conundrum, as you've mentioned between paid and free.
I try to keep myself past the framework. If there's a framework, there can be potential for anything. Though it depends.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I try to keep myself past the framework. If there's a framework, there can be potential for anything. Though it depends.
I get that, we are the exception....a lot of people aren't as technically adept at changing from one platform to another.

Crims

Wethermon
It's much easier for me, for some reason, to assume platform. Especially instead of Facebook when I'm given the shroud of nerds lol. I just don't take stuff seriously in all frankness. It's not complicated.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I get that, we are the exception....a lot of people aren't as technically adept at changing from one platform to another.
Not so sure it is not technically adept, rather comfort in familiarity.. Many things we do are effectively automation, how many times does one arrive home then cannot recall driving along the High Street. Modern IT forces change upon us, not sure if it is intentional or not in order to force us to update therefore generate business.but we are always having to change. Microsoft word is a typical example, new improved version comes out then secretaries and office staff lose productivity whilst they adapt to the new interface.

Geffers

Crims

Wethermon
Revisiting this thread:
Much like substance in the modern universe, I don't exist whatsoever. That's why I write these articles. This article's aim is to kickstart forum life in general. Forums have a marked ability to raise conversation from affective altruism to personal growth and self development. Or encourage one to seek ones own solution; I'm not writing novels though I am posting on forums for that reason. All readers here have used NerdZone, for long enough to see the benefit of the forums presence. Money shouldn't be the key axis that dictates everything, and it's paradoxically apparent. These articles are because NerdZone exists, and hopefully will continue.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Not so sure it is not technically adept, rather comfort in familiarity.. Many things we do are effectively automation, how many times does one arrive home then cannot recall driving along the High Street. Modern IT forces change upon us, not sure if it is intentional or not in order to force us to update therefore generate business.but we are always having to change. Microsoft word is a typical example, new improved version comes out then secretaries and office staff lose productivity whilst they adapt to the new interface.

Geffers
Very true, a better description in comfort and familiarity as you stated.

Revisiting this thread:
Much like substance in the modern universe, I don't exist whatsoever. That's why I write these articles. This article's aim is to kickstart forum life in general. Forums have a marked ability to raise conversation from affective altruism to personal growth and self development. Or encourage one to seek ones own solution; I'm not writing novels though I am posting on forums for that reason. All readers here have used NerdZone, for long enough to see the benefit of the forums presence. Money shouldn't be the key axis that dictates everything, and it's paradoxically apparent. These articles are because NerdZone exists, and hopefully will continue.

I actually just read your musings and thoughts in your above article as if I'm reading what you wrote for the first time. I found your points and thesis more poignant the second time. I'm glad you brought it back up again as the meanings of forums are too strong to get lost among the social media giants as there is a foundational need for people to communicate this way in this type of setting.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Revisiting this thread:
Great observations there and thankyou for your kind words. :) Running NZ is a labour of love for sure.

It's true that forums are best at developing a sense of community over other public forms of written online communications.

Back
Top Bottom