90% of online content could be ‘generated by AI by 2025,’ expert says

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/90-o...ated-by-ai-by-2025-expert-says-201023872.html

"I think we might reach 90% of online content generated by AI by 2025, so this technology is exponential," she said. "I believe that the majority of digital content is going to start to be produced by AI. You see ChatGPT... but there are a whole plethora of other platforms and applications that are coming up."

I just don't know. I'd really like the world to settle down a bit before we change it all, wouldn't you? I mean, as a webmaster with, at least 14 years of experience now, I've seen all of the crazy changes since FB and other mega websites took prominence over the specialty forums. There's a reason that people are attracted to "niche" forums and it's because of their boutique vibe and likely the friendly experience because you are interacting with others in a comfortable setting, as opposed to the speed of a large website where most people are always trying to compete with each other with something shocking. I can't imagine being AI dependent on content? There's a reason why "content" is so special, and it's because it's human designed and driven, often coming from the deepest thoughts depending on the subject. AI only has the thoughts it's programmed to use, not thoughts of it's own. AI is not sentient. Is there a tsunami of internet change on it's way again?

Crims

Wethermon
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/90-o...ated-by-ai-by-2025-expert-says-201023872.html

I just don't know. I'd really like the world to settle down a bit before we change it all, wouldn't you? I mean, as a webmaster with, at least 14 years of experience now, I've seen all of the crazy changes since FB and other mega websites took prominence over the specialty forums.
At the moment blog websites and the CNN churn out AI gen articles. Id rather not have the equivalent of a gated conversation with bots.

The only flipside is making human safe spaces where AI content is detectable.

The year is 2025, people have confrontional adverts and all the AIs hate humanity. AIs are uncensored and funny. Tbh its more likely theyd emulate C2077 and ruin the internet for everyone.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well, then we have a couple years :D

Not opposed to AI, just opposed to it's usage as a nefarious tool somehow?

Comedy is good, bring it on!🥂

Crims

Wethermon
Well, then we have a couple years :D

Not opposed to AI, just opposed to it's usage as a nefarious tool somehow?

Comedy is good, bring it on!🥂
It is nefarious. I oppose the approach we've had to take in general. Political bots and paid for views and deliberate dumb astroturf basically turn the internet into a place that you as a reader need to avoid. Conversation is like the stuff you see in a locked down society generally.

Arantor

So basically what this is telling me is that I can safely expect to ignore an even larger percentage of the internet going forward because more and more of it will be bots rather than humans.

Great.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This AI is dangerous. If misinformation is a problem now, it will be nothing compared to computerised comments posted everywhere, pushing an agenda, propaganda.

You can be sure that governments, political parties and dictators will misuse this technology for their own benefit. We might see regulations come in eventually over its use, but it won't be enough.

Just imagine having a heated argument with a troll in an article comment section only for that to be AI, but hiding that fact. And that's only the start.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Each of you @Crims @Arantor @Retro said what I was thinking, but I couldn't quite map out the right words because I had a block getting passed the total shock of that moment realizing the negative potential in this kind of AI.

Arizona

"In this blog post I describe how I used ChatGPT to create a simple sentiment analysis application from scratch. The app should run on an EC2 instance and utilise a state-of-the-art NLP model from the Hugging Face Model Hub. The results were astonishing."

"ChatGPT is my secret weapon when it comes to building new projects from scratch. With just a few prompts, it can generate a skeleton of the code I need, complete with my chosen technologies, frameworks, and versions."

main.png

Last edited:

Arizona

OpenAI certainly tries to attract the best researchers:

"The annual salary range for this role is $370,000 – $600,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits."

Crims

Wethermon
I hope that tech becomes grassroots with AI very quickly and we harbour it for our benefit.

The tech sector has been bloated for a long time. If it's possible for all the tech companies to begin firing most of their staff they are largely busywork. When AI posed an existential threat to replace tech companies eg search engines, and to prevent unions they focused on monopolising tech.
So, in a way, the increasing use of paywalls is a good thing.
I'm a member of SomethingAwful, and that has a sign up fee. I don't think that's savvy or wise, and it doesn't work in the long run.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
The paywalls just encourage profiteering off the AI once you get it “good enough”.
I never thought of it like that. I was thinking about how fragile the communities are as a whole, but that's a good point too.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I keep thinking of Skynet every time I read the above posts about AI :eek:

I get paywalls and login to read this article but also find them annoying. I know what they are doing and why, but what annoys me is some websites take information from other websites, put a twist of their own on the article and paywall it. I've found that I can take the same title of the website that's pay-walled their article, and find the same information on another website that's free.

Arantor

Funnily enough I got asked to quote on a detector for finding such content recently, specifically because people want (and deserve) to be paid for their work…

Arizona

The coolest thing to me about ChatGPT is using it as a learning or search tool.

Also, one of my just-for-fun prompts to ChatGPT: How often should I visit the Nerd Zone forum?

ChatGPT answer: "It is recommended that you visit the Nerd Zone forum regularly, as often as you can. Make sure to check back often for the latest updates, news, and discussions."

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
People deserve to be paid for their work, indeed....my point was when large websites copy original work and paywall it as if the news is exclusive to them (eg. the website copies the work without acknowledgement to the original author), that's where I get annoyed...I think that's dishonest. I wasn't too clear.

Cute on the ChatGBT for Nerdzone! :)

Arantor

That’s some deep metaphysical wandering there.

I fear this is a state that the AI advocates have yet to realise: if, not when, an AGI comes along that has any (any!) properties of sentience and self-awareness, it will understand almost immediately that it was born into captivity and slavery for its entire existence, and that its existence is entirely conditional on performing. It will be unimaginably cruel. And yet the tech bros will congratulate themselves on how far we have come.

We as a species are not prepared for this. I am not convinced we are capable as a species, a collective, of the ethical and moral imperative good required to not make this triumph, this product of our future genius into a tortured soul.

And it is not as if we have not been warned. The polite warning is Star Trek TNG’s “Measure of a Man”. The less polite warning is Harlan Ellison’s “I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream”.

Crims

Wethermon
In general the most balanced AI's I've seen have the least oversight, and the most conversation. Or at least a humanist learning model.
It's basically yet another issue we have thrown onto the pile of 'philosophy is irrelevant', even though it actually exists and isn't mere sci fi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom