Algebra, String Theory and Physics~ If math is your nerdzone, then you will enjoy this!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The Peculiar Math That Could Underlie the Laws of Nature

Algebra, string theory and physics. If you love math, you will love this article about Cohl Furey, a physicist from Cambridge University.

Cohl Furey, a mathematical physicist at the University of Cambridge, is finding links between the Standard Model of particle physics and the octonions, numbers whose multiplication rules are encoded in a triangular diagram called the Fano plane. Susannah Ireland for Quanta Magazine

There’s a suspicion that fundamental particles and forces spring from strange eight-part numbers called “octonions".

.......all multiplicative chains of elements of $latex \mathbb{R}\otimes\mathbb{C}\otimes\mathbb{H}\otimes\mathbb{O}$ can be generated by 10 matrices called “generators.” Nine of the generators act like spatial dimensions, and the 10th, which has the opposite sign, behaves like time. String theory also predicts 10 space-time dimensions — and the octonions are involved there as well. Whether or how Furey’s work connects to string theory remains to be puzzled out.
Math 1.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Math is not my thing, though I appreciated this article because I am a bit of a word smith and any language with use of a whole new paradigm of new words, in this case, mathematics, is fascinating to me. Of course, understanding this complicated math and physics in another story.

Crims

Wethermon
I've been quite interested in this topic, and it's good that it's starting generally to get attention. I'm a fan of 4d geometric math and that it actually is applying to physics I think is good.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Crims In that case you'll love 4D Toys. Don't let the "for children" description fool you. These are hardcore 4D shapes that you can manipulate in realtime and is available for a modest price on Steam. I, of course, have it. It's awesome, just buy it! :cool:

Crims

Wethermon

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh you don't need VR to enjoy this. It's only £11, too.

Back
Top Bottom