Amazon becoming a cesspit of seller fraud?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
After the BBC published a story in January about how a man was sent dog food by Amazon instead of the iPhone he ordered, dozens of readers have been in touch with similar complaints.

Many of those we spoke to told of high-value products such as cameras and computer kit being swapped for low-value items like cat food or face masks. Here, we share a selection of readers' experiences.

You wouldn't expect this kind of fraud when buying from "the world's most customer centric company" as Amazon like to claim, but it seems to be happening to an increasing extent. On top of that, Amazon rub salt into the wound by making it difficult to get refunds, even when there's video evidence of the fraud!

Now, one critically important point that the article didn't clarify, was whether the goods were bought from Marketplace, or Amazon themselves. I'll bet they were all Marketplace sellers. Personally, I've never had a single problem buying from Amazon - and I've bought a lot - but several from Marketplace, thankfully nothing like this though.

Amazon's founder, Jeff Bezos, needs to get on top of this problem now, but I suspect he doesn't really care as he's made his billions.

Amazon fraud.PNG
This was what a kid who'd saved up for a graphics card to build his PC got instead. Handy if going to an infected area, I guess.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thanks for the heads up! I had this experience with another company. I was supposed to get chlorine and instead they sent me a child's top. I never got that fixed. The communication between the seller and me was painful. They kept saying I recieved my item, because they counted the shipment of the top as my received item. I had more trouble with purchases during the height of the pandemic. I also lost over $200.00 on supplements. I fought with that company for months too...they would never refund or send a replacement item. Buyer beware for sure!!

Mars

Staff Member
😟You wouldn't expect this kind of fraud when buying from "the world's most customer centric company" as Amazon like to claim, but it seems to be happening to an increasing extent. On top of that, Amazon rub salt into the wound by making it difficult to get refunds, even when there's video evidence of the fraud!

Now, one critically important point that the article didn't clarify, was whether the goods were bought from Marketplace, or Amazon themselves. I'll bet they were all Marketplace sellers. Personally, I've never had a single problem buying from Amazon - and I've bought a lot - but several from Marketplace, thankfully nothing like this though.

Amazon's founder, Jeff Bezos, needs to get on top of this problem now, but I suspect he doesn't really care as he's made his billions.

View attachment 1192
This was what a kid who'd saved up for a graphics card to build his PC got instead. Handy if going to an infected area, I guess.

OMG What can I say.....Well, I can tell you what I can say: from now on I am asking the delivery person to kindly wait a minute while I open the parcel in front of them. I mean it. Reading the horror stories in that article is scary.

There is one caveat though, as Retro said, the article does not specify whether those nightmare parcels were goods bought from Amazon directly, or via Marketplace. It looks like at least one of them was a Marketplace purchase: the graphics card replaced by face masks, because the buyer had to send the masks back to the USA.

The other horror stories of giving the customer a hard time before issuing a refund, in spite of CCTV proof, is damning indeed. BUT (sorry, there is a 'but' here), being the devil's advocate, I can see amazon's side as well. They cannot just take all complaints glibly on trust, go ahead and refund large sums of money, just on a customer's says so? I don't think so.

And we all know that images can be photoshopped.
Amazon has to do its due diligence before issuing a refund. Con men abound.

So....an Amazon delivery is due here anytime now; better be good😟

Uncrowned

I find Amazon less and less appealing each year in both its offerings and even its prices. I no longer even have a Prime sub as Walmart and other stores have passed them off with much better prices in most things that I buy.

Mars

Staff Member
Thanks for the heads up! I had this experience with another company. I was supposed to get chlorine and instead they sent me a child's top. I never got that fixed. The communication between the seller and me was painful. They kept saying I recieved my item, because they counted the shipment of the top as my received item. I had more trouble with purchases during the height of the pandemic. I also lost over $200.00 on supplements. I fought with that company for months too...they would never refund or send a replacement item. Buyer beware for sure!!
As you said, buyer beware, that's for sure. I cannot believe what you went thru, and losing $200 is painful!

In this respect, maybe it would be better to stick with Amazon, because ok, they may take their time investigating, but at least you get your money back in the end.
That Supplement company, what con merchants. It is so unfair. I hope you will not experience any more repeat performances of that kind.
Online buying can be a minefield, that is why I basically stay with Amazon, or one or two companies who are very reputable. Fingers crossed.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
As you said, buyer beware, that's for sure. I cannot believe what you went thru, and losing $200 is painful!

In this respect, maybe it would be better to stick with Amazon, because ok, they may take their time investigating, but at least you get your money back in the end.
That Supplement company, what con merchants. It is so unfair. I hope you will not experience any more repeat performances of that kind.
Online buying can be a minefield, that is why I basically stay with Amazon, or one or two companies who are very reputable. Fingers crossed.
It was a lesson learned with that supplement company....in comparison, an experience with another company (about a year ago), I ordered some hair products directly (instead of going through Amazon) and I waited to receive my order. After about three weeks and not receiving it, I sent an email to customer service. I quickly received and email back with an apology as it appeared to them that my order was lost in shipping and that they are sending a new order out. The real customer service about this company is that they said if I ever receive the first order that I could keep it, this came after I told them that I'd email if my first order ever arrived; this order was over $200. That's real customer service.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I find Amazon less and less appealing each year in both its offerings and even its prices. I no longer even have a Prime sub as Walmart and other stores have passed them off with much better prices in most things that I buy.
Same....I'm very watchful of their prices too. I also find that some orders that are canceled, the product is still available but the "seller" decided to raise the price. That happened a lot around the holidays and I found that practice very annoying if not shameful.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Regarding those prices, I remember around a decade or so there was a bit of a scandal with Amazon (yes, another one) where they were setting customised prices depending on a shopper's profile. They allegedly stopped after that, but I suspect that it still goes on.

Uncrowned

Regarding those prices, I remember around a decade or so there was a bit of a scandal with Amazon (yes, another one) where they were setting customised prices depending on a shopper's profile. They allegedly stopped after that, but I suspect that it still goes on.
If this is true, they think I make way more money then I do lol

Mars

Staff Member
It was a lesson learned with that supplement company....in comparison, an experience with another company (about a year ago), I ordered some hair products directly (instead of going through Amazon) and I waited to receive my order. After about three weeks and not receiving it, I sent an email to customer service. I quickly received and email back with an apology as it appeared to them that my order was lost in shipping and that they are sending a new order out. The real customer service about this company is that they said if I ever receive the first order that I could keep it, this came after I told them that I'd email if my first order ever arrived; this order was over $200. That's real customer service.
Right, that is what I call Customer Service. I had one or two occasions where I had to approach Customer service regarding an order, either missing, or not up to par, and received exactly the same reply as you did: an apology, no need to return anything.
It was lovely to hear that this time you did not lose $200, but instead the matter was fairly resolved.
Kind of makes your day when this happens, doesn't it, you feel all is ok with the world. For a while, anyway....:)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Right, that is what I call Customer Service. I had one or two occasions where I had to approach Customer service regarding an order, either missing, or not up to par, and received exactly the same reply as you did: an apology, no need to return anything.
It was lovely to hear that this time you did not lose $200, but instead the matter was fairly resolved.
Kind of makes your day when this happens, doesn't it, you feel all is ok with the world. For a while, anyway....:)
I love that! Reassuring of your experience that there are some companies out there that strive to excel at the best customer service possible. Makes your day, definitely and when you are using the product, there's a positive vibe too!

Mars

Staff Member
I love that! Reassuring of your experience that there are some companies out there that strive to excel at the best customer service possible. Makes your day, definitely and when you are using the product, there's a positive vibe too!
It is true, you know, I've never really thought of it that way, but it is true, that if you have a good customer service experience with a company, then every time you use their product, there is that positive vibe. It comes back to your mind, how nice you were treated. And you know next time they will again be your go-to supplier.

It is about time companies realised that the best way to keep customers coming back, is to give them excellent customer service.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It is true, you know, I've never really thought of it that way, but it is true, that if you have a good customer service experience with a company, then every time you use their product, there is that positive vibe. It comes back to your mind, how nice you were treated. And you know next time they will again be your go-to supplier.

It is about time companies realised that the best way to keep customers coming back, is to give them excellent customer service.
Totally agree....there are certain products I use and buy over and over again, because their customer service is so good....for example, I know they like me because they send nice emails with coupons.😇.lol...but the key is to not over do it with emails and learn with good timing when I might need the product again. There's a supplements company that is like that....it's like they know when I'm about to run out and "poof" here comes that magic coupon for 25% off. Heck ya, love that.

I also like the companies that have a friendly vibe that borders a bit cute with friendly messages. There's a domain company that uses a pig as their mascot and when you log in the little pigs tale wags. Yes, I do have a small amusement threshold, but you give me animal mascots that are cute, I'm won over.🤣

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The Amazon fraud cesspit continues.

Again though, the article doesn't specify if these were Marketplace purchases. It seems doubtful that buying directly off Amazon would result in this fraud.

In most of these cases, it took the intervention by the BBC to force a refund out of Amazon.

Finally, even if these frauds are only happening on Marketplace, it's something that didn't used to happen so much, so the quality of the shopping experience has dropped massively and that's on Amazon. Clearly they don't really care about the fraud, but it will eventually bite them in the ass when people stop shopping there.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The Amazon fraud cesspit continues.

Again though, the article doesn't specify if these were Marketplace purchases. It seems doubtful that buying directly off Amazon would result in this fraud.

In most of these cases, it took the intervention by the BBC to force a refund out of Amazon.

Finally, even if these frauds are only happening on Marketplace, it's something that didn't used to happen so much, so the quality of the shopping experience has dropped massively and that's on Amazon. Clearly they don't really care about the fraud, but it will eventually bite them in the ass when people stop shopping there.

Wow, that just ain't right (southern response)! I can attest, as well that if you have an issue with your order from the marketplace that it will be difficult if not impossible to resolve. I recently had an issue with Walmart too. Very unhappy with their exchange rules... none, so I donated instead, to make it work for someone else.

Perhaps bad experiences are starting to catch up with Amazon.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'd forgotten about the job cuts. They must absolutely be related to this situation. Perhaps this the start of the decline of Amazon? I'll be really sorry if it's the case and I hope it gets back to the high quality experience that Amazon is known for, but not holding my breath.

Sounds like Walmart sux too.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The large tech companies all seem to be having super large layoffs, but what I don't get is how efficient will a tech company remain with such substantial layoffs?

My Walmart experience was less then stellar and it was their "marketplace". First and last bad experience. I ordered some workout pants for my dh, just one pair to test the sizing and quality. They sent me the wrong size and wouldn't even exchange it. I got a very curt message back without an apology and it was my fault for the wrong size sent. What the frack? One and only time to order clothing from Walmart and the last. There's plenty of other places to buy from that would rather have my business.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Bloody hell, if you got that crap from your first purchase there, this terrible customer service must be rife.

Shame everyone else doesn't do the same as you since Walmart would then either have to improve or go out of business.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Agreed...I'm really good at boycotting a company if they suck. Walmart is just getting into the game, like Amazon, and so far, they have a lot to learn. Their sellers are representing their name and if the sellers are rude, then why go back?

Walmart is having layoffs and closings too. Wonder why? Could it be that "they" aren't monitoring their market place well enough to make sure customers aren't being mistreated?

The retail giant is cutting more than 1,000 jobs in Texas, 600 jobs in Pennsylvania, 400 in Florida and 200 in New Jersey, according to Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification (WARN) filings. Reuters first reported last month that the job cuts were because of reductions and elimination in evening and weekend shifts.

Walmart said in a statement that it “recently adjusted staffing levels at our fulfillment centers in select markets to better prepare for the future needs of customers” and that it was a decision that wasn’t “made lightly.” It said that it’s “working closely with affected associates to help them understand what career options may be available at other Walmart locations.”

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Thinking about it, Amazon are totally complicit in these crimes and are not some innocent bystander who's infrastructure is being abused by criminals. How so?

Assuming the fraud is being perpetrated by Marketplace sellers only, it stands to reason that individual sellers must be doing it on a large scale, perhaps on every purchase to make it worth their while. This means a buyer complaint for every fraudulent sale from that seller, which Amazon receives a cut of the proceeds don't forget.

After two or three such complaints, you'd think they'd suspend the seller, refund the customers and investigate the seller wouldn't you? But no, instead they make it real difficult to get a refund and use every trick in the book to deny that refund, as we've seen in those news articles. This means that Amazon are crooked af and totally complicit in these crimes. The question now becomes, why aren't the police investigating Amazon for fraud?

Now, if this is happening from sales directly from Amazon, then they're even more guilty.

Amazon, the "world's most customer centric company" my ass!

Back
Top Bottom