Apple Macs can be easily infected with malware

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Apple Mac computers tend to feel smug that they don't need security software on their computers since they believe that they can't be infected. However, nothing could be further from the truth and this article explains how simple malware can get onto them.

I also saw another article some time ago which showed the timeline for Mac infections since the 80s and there were a lot of them. Unfortunately, I don't have a link for that one.

The bottom line is that no computer is safe from infection. One of the main factors for how much risk it's exposed to, is how popular it is. Windows, with its vast marketshare (80-90% or so?) of course makes for a huge target, so security software along with security best practices are critical to prevent infection.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
I have never used a Mac computer. I guess I am used to windows and the computers seem to be better value. This is yet another reason for me to keep using Windows 🙂

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yup, it's all about mainstream industry support. With Windows you never have to ask "will this app run on Windows?" because they all do by default. On any other platform, chances are that it won't work and that's no good.

All one has to worry about with a PC is whether the spec is good enough for the software and that only matters much for games or demanding software like AutoCAD etc which is so expensive anyway, that anyone who can afford that can afford a PC that's good enough to run it. All the other software, like Office etc will pretty much run on even the lowest spec PC.

Then you get the value / prices as you mention. Macs all cost a fortune and what really gets me about their laptops is the way that they cripple upgrades such as fixed RAM and storage options like on an iPhone or iPad. That's insane on a laptop. I'm not too sure what restrictions they impose on their desktops, but I'll bet there are some.

Back
Top Bottom