Busting common diet myths

aussiefooty

You need carbs for exercise. So it's stupid if you went on a no carb diet.
You will have no energy.

You're not 300lbs you're most likely a tiny size 10 so eat more.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You need carbs for exercise. So it's stupid if you went on a no carb diet.
You will have no energy.
Very true for us humans.

Makes it all the more interesting how cats have evolved to be obligate carnivores, who need just the opposite.

live627

Well, it depends which carbs, doesn't it?

For example:

Fries: fattening
Pear: not fattening

Lots of examples like this.
Is true... but, why? Portion sizes. How many pears you wanna eat? One, probably. And the fries? More volume than a pear, most likely. Another important distinction is fiber, it slows the absorption of glucose. But you can still get fat on pears, but it takes a conscious effort.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Is true... but, why? Portion sizes. How many pears you wanna eat? One, probably. And the fries? More volume than a pear, most likely. Another important distinction is fiber, it slows the absorption of glucose. But you can still get fat on pears, but it takes a conscious effort.
I suspect that we might be at slight cross purposes / misunderstanding and that we're actually on the same side.

The article busts the myth that carbs are fattening, it just depends which ones, which we both seem to agree with and that portion size is everything, also true. And of course, exercise is in there somewhere.

aussiefooty

Just eat without worrying about your weight.
You can always exercise it off

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
There's a scientific answer to carb's versus fats and you can determine if you naturally burn carbs easier or burn fat easier through RER testing and determining your V02 max. Of course most of us won't do this test, however, it is interesting. In my family, we are all unique in what we burn. I'm a carb-burner, but I do consume a balanced amount of carbs for any activity to maintain my weight.

I do agree with the above comments that portion size means a lot and if you eat a lot of pears, then you are driving insulin even though pears are on the healthy list. As we have all commented many times, a balanced diet is a big factor too.

As for fries, I avoid ALL fried food as the oils are not healthy, however, there are a few healthy oils such as olive oil that I'm good with.

I will carb-up a bit before a work out too, but then I've been doing that all of my life, so it's kind of a habit. :D

Insulin is always the strongest driver in maintaining weight, and/or weight loss. Of course, the thyroid plays a role and so does your ghrelin hormone.

Back
Top Bottom