Chit Chat Thread

Nebulous

Hi peeps, hows it going? :)

Looks like its just a couple days from Christmas.

Anyone have any plans?

200.gif

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
As long as everyone is well, we have guests to stay overnight and we will have a traditional dinner on Sunday. We will all likely stay up late on Christmas Eve to watch a family movie.

Right now, everyone has had colds and either still getting over it or it's migrated to allergies with the pollen in the air that makes everyone sick this time of year. So really not sure if Granny will be joining us. We try to protect her health and I may, instead, visit her, to save exposure to everyone. We still have a couple of days to see how everyone is feeling though.

For our friends in the US .....the US is going through a severe blizzard/bomb cyclone named Elliot, and the southern half of the US is affected, as well. We are expected to get -10 wind chill. The winds here are already pushing 40mph (was just out in it) almost sustained winds while this arctic cold front is coming through. The southern states will have near zero degrees and a lot of wind damage as the Arctic front blows through and the northern states will have all of the blizzard conditions with severe in-the-negative temperatures.

Wishing wellness for everyone trying to get over colds and now dealing with this record breaking winter storm.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, man, America really does get hit with bad weather. Apart from the occasional extremes here in Blighty where things get wrecked courtesy of climate change, our weather is like a mild breeze compared to what you have to put up with.

Hope you all get well soon and can enjoy Christmas.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thanks, working on getting well for Christmas!

We survived the night and kept power, YAY!! Was 10F degrees and -10F windchill this morning when I took my dogs out. Needless to say, they didn't like it either. We have to make it through to Monday. Some of Texas lost power due to strong wind damage.

There are so many weather phenomenons that affect the US from all four quadrants if you were to break it up that way. The north (nw, mw, ne, plains) have their cold weather and blizzards. The far west has warm to cold weather as you are going north and occasional pacific hurricanes (South Cali). The south, severe heat, drought, tornadoes, Atlantic hurricanes, and flooding. The far east, hurricanes (Florida), warm to cold weather as you go up the coast.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's a slightly dodgy one for Christmas Day and especially the slightly pissed (hic!)

I've just heard on the radio, LBC, that there's a place in Scotland called Cock Bridge - and the sign gets stolen all the time, lol.

I mean, seriously, who names these things??!

CockBridge.jpg

Arantor

who names these things??!
Looks like there used to be a nearby inn, with a red muircock on its sign; it was named after that. There's plenty of such names throughout the UK, often historical and less rude than you'd think.

I, for example, come from Sussex - which has nothing to do with sex whatsoever, but simpy that it was where the southern Saxons dwelt in times gone by, the area that was originally Wessex for the west Saxons, Essex for the east Saxons.

But yes, the sign gets stolen frequently.

As for how I'm doing today, doing pretty good, thanks. How about everyone else?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Arantor, there used to be a place with the super embarrassing name Piddle-in-the-Hole. It's been mercifully renamed, but I don't know what the new name is without Googling.

Arantor

I only ever came across an ale of that name, in Worcestershire - so named after the Piddle Brook near Evesham. Though I'm pretty sure there's a few villages over the years with Piddle in the name.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Laughing at the names.....the history is interesting though!

On this day of the 26th, I'm freaking tired, no holiday in me today, but otherwise good, thank you! I have a house full of some kind of Christmas in every room and the only room that's looking decent at the moment is my kitchen, though many, hours were spent in it yesterday cooking dinner for family and friends. I'm on strike today....there's the leftovers....lol.:D

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Is it naughty of me to confess that I somewhat miss the height of the covid lockdown of 2020?

Back then, when lockdown was still fairly new, listed below are the main differences from normal life. Towards the end, I did just want it to end though.
  • I could work from home. I remember my boss calling me on the morning of 6th March 2020 before I left for the office and telling me to work from home until further notice. That felt really strange.
  • No visits to anybody as everyone isolating. My "day trips" out ended up being supermarket visits only and then only when the queue wasn't too long.
  • Very little traffic on the road. Drove out at the height of rush hour once, in the morning, and saw just one car, instead of the usual semi-gridlock. Unheard of and loved it.
  • All professional football was cancelled and Sky stopped charging me for my Sky Sports sub too. When the Premier League eventually returned, there were no stadium crowds and no crowd noise. This complete lack of atmosphere made the games look like training matches and felt totally surreal. After a few games though, they added that annoying fake crowd noise from computer football games.
  • Shear novelty factor due to surreal times and likely once in a lifetime experience (thankfully). I never overly worried about catching it either, although I did at one point and my "mild" covid was actually quite rough, but I recovered quickly.
  • I didn't like wearing a mask though. What a pita, but I complied with it and took all the covid jabs with enthusiasm, no idiot anti-vaxxer here.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The lockdowns had the same effect here. So much less traffic.....but then when the lockdowns were lifted people forgot how to drive and there were a lot of accidents for awhile. Still are a lot of accidents, but too many people have moved here fleeing other states with more severe restrictions.

Crims

Wethermon
I agree with Retro, I spent all of covid building up my personal life, returning to my favourite media, music and altogether being significantly more productive and generally social than before. More energy for activities, and covid altogether compliments introversion.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
At home, during the covid lock downs and subsequent months after that, I went through all of my closets, cabinets and drawers in every room, reorganizing, tossing and donating. Then I put together shelving that I added to two closets to reorganize what I just did to those closets and assembled a new desk. I also assembled this adorable cabinet for a small space in a hallway. Building this cabinet nearly broke me because the directions said it needed two people. Four hours later, I had it built. :ROFLMAO:

Now it's about time to go through some closets again. Somehow, I just don't have the same enthusiasm. :giggle:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You've been busy, Tiffs. Satisfying to get stuff like that out of the way, isn't it? Sense of achievement. 🙂

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Back
Top Bottom