Dangers of PDFs

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Short video (less than one minute)outlining some dangers many may not be aware of, I certainly wasn't.

Many of us innocently download PDF files thinking they are safe, worth taking 54 seconds to view this video.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I love NaomiPrivacyTips. That was a short video but made a good point and a good reminder that that's a big no-no to do. I generally don't download a PDF unless it's from a company and I know I'm supposed too for a reason. I do turn links into PDF's so I won't lose the information when in the future the link might break and then I have the info saved.

Thanks for sharing!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's not bullshit. Malware really can be spread via PDFs or files masquerading as them.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's not bullshit. Malware really can be spread via PDFs or files masquerading as them.

Agreed, there are a lot of clever and deceitful ways for hackers to get into your docs. I can recall watching a Columbo episode, and this would be on old tech of course, but it was about how someone got into the company computer and was able to cause a lot of trouble that way including taking secret documents. Today, hackers are so prolific and most people don't even realize they just opened the door giving hackers access to their PC.

Some companies actually hire ethical hackers to test company access/security and also to test how their employees respond to emails that are intentionally sent from the ethical hacker to see what employees respond or ignore on certain emails. You really can't be too cautious these days.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Agreed, there are a lot of clever and deceitful ways for hackers to get into your docs.

Some companies actually hire ethical hackers to test company access/security and also to test how their employees respond to emails that are intentionally sent from the ethical hacker to see what employees respond or ignore on certain emails. You really can't be too cautious these days.
Supposedly Kali Linux is a distro aimed at ethical hacking, I have no doubt some use it for unethical purposes.

There is an image designed for use on a Raspberry Pi, which is quite useful as kill the power and all back to a normal state.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom