Sleepwalking into total monitoring

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
It's hard to get away from this monitoring nowadays.
We like the convenience of services purporting to be free but actually come at a cost?

Oddly, I am OK with adverts that I am at least interested in rather than generic type adds that are irrelevant but the amount of adverts is infuriating, youtube is getting ridiculous.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
We like the convenience of services purporting to be free but actually come at a cost?
ie there are no free lunches, quite right.

YouTube finally got to me with their obnoxious adverts so I've now signed up for the subscription at £11.99 / month. Bliss.

Yes, one can use Brave to eliminate them, but that's not possible in all scenarios, such as the work PC, where installations are strictly controlled and Brave isn't used. Now, as an admin, I could override that, but then I'd be adding potential security holes into it, so if it ever got hacked and potentially infected the network, the last thing I want is to be at the centre of it having installed unauthorised software that let the malware in.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
ie there are no free lunches, quite right.

YouTube finally got to me with their obnoxious adverts so I've now signed up for the subscription at £11.99 / month. Bliss.

Yes, one can use Brave to eliminate them, but that's not possible in all scenarios, such as the work PC, where installations are strictly controlled and Brave isn't used. Now, as an admin, I could override that, but then I'd be adding potential security holes into it, so if it ever got hacked and potentially infected the network, the last thing I want is to be at the centre of it having installed unauthorised software that let the malware in.
Sometimes if you are offering public services you have to go with the flow on occasions. Security can make one a wee bit paranoid on occasions (OCD) but I generally try to exercise sensible precautions. Any financial transactions I check the padlock and certificate. Careful just clicking on links unless I know what they are. The referred links on the analytic sites need some caution.

Hard to imagine when the web first started most incoming ports were open and we merely blocked those we were unsure of.

Geffers

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Haven't checked this out fully but think one can avoid adverts by copying URL from youtube video into the network stream option of VLC.

Reckon with a few keyboard shortcuts this could be achieved quite quickly.

Back
Top Bottom