Domain Nameservers and NS Records

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I have a domain (on my home network) used for personal file transfers plus a couple I use for practice with space on a cloud system.

I must admit confusion with DNS management and NameServers. For a start on my router name server addresses must be IP addresses whereas on DNS management it has to me hostnames.

Further on the management side the NameServers are usually ns1, ns2 and ns3 of the company handling the domain name but then one goes down to NS Records and one can add nameservers of choice. Appears these can be the same as the aforementioned Nameservers (ns1,ns2,ns3) or use opendns, quad9 google etc.

I cannot see pros or cons of either. Appreciate resilience is an issue, hence multiple NameServers.

Now router, using a faster nameServer can be useful, I tend to use 9.9.9.9 or 1.1.1.1 and apparently Google's 8.8.8.8 is supposed to be fast. As mentioned, router uses IP addresses whereas DNS management seems to use Hostnames.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Getting around censorship / site blocks is another reason for using a different DNS server. For example, since Russia started picking on Ukraine, the government has forced ISPs large and small to block access to rt.com. My ISP has been forced to block this site, so using one of the other DNS servers that you mention fixes this. There are other unapproved sites that us Great Unwashed Minions aren't allowed to look at and is a practice I strongly disagree with.

To everyone: click the link below and see if the site opens. If not, it's time to change your DNS server. I'm currently on Quad 9's server (9.9.9.9).

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Good point. We are adults, we can make our own minds up what to watch, and more to the point, what to believe.

Geffers

Back
Top Bottom