Security of Data

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
How many of you use the Name Servers supplied by your ISP in your router setup?

One has to be careful of paranoia (that is how OCD starts) but sensible security is easy to enact.

One can simply use the many free name servers available instead of using the ISP supplied addresses, the popular ones are as follows;

1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare)
8.8.8.8 (Google)
9.9.9.9 (Quad nine, there's a surprise)

Video worth a watch about changing your Name Servers.

Geffers

Mars

Staff Member
It is supposedly fast but owned by google so that tends to turn a lot of people off.

Google provide a lot of useful services, they have to pay for it somehow so everything is a trade off.

Geffers
Security is important, and is worth paying for.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Security is important, and is worth paying for.

Agree but security and encryption is so complicated that we have to depend on their word for it. How many times have we been told by various companies that our data is secure with them then there is suddenly a breach.

Paranoia can set in but so can complacency.

Geffers

Mars

Staff Member
Agree but security and encryption is so complicated that we have to depend on their word for it. How many times have we been told by various companies that our data is secure with them then there is suddenly a breach.

Paranoia can set in but so can complacency.

Geffers
I agree with you; where does paranoia ends and complacency begins? I don't really know.
Personally, I tend to err on the side of caution. Sure, you can walk down the road, get hit by a drunken driver and die. So what, don't you go out then? Of course you do.
With the WWW it is different though, we are not in control of our environment in the same way as we are when crossing the road.
That's why one person's caution may seem like paranoia to someone else; but that's just the way we are, we are all different.
Also, I guess it depends on what you do online. Sometimes certain risks are unavoidable.

Back
Top Bottom