Elon Musk threatens to walk away from Twitter deal

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Go on, piss off then. This guy would let Trump back in and likely other unsavoury stuff, so I really don't want him running Twitter.

Elon Musk has threatened to walk away from his $44bn takeover of Twitter, accusing the social media company of "thwarting" his requests to learn more about its user base.
In a letter filed with regulators, Mr Musk said he was entitled to do his own measurement of spam accounts.
The letter formalises a dispute that has simmered for weeks after Mr Musk declared the deal "on hold" pending further information.

Arantor

I'm not convinced he was ever entirely serious about buying it, and that the current situation is the product of him trying to find an excuse to back out without forking out a billion dollars for it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I wonder. Perhaps he was serious and is now trying to back out if it after finding out it's not all it's cracked up to be? Just guessing here.

Arantor

I actually think it's more cynical than that. I've been wondering for a while if this was a way of raising money both in the value of what he sunk into Twitter for a 9.2% stake, and boosting Tesla shares in passing by being prepared to flex them for Twitter (as they got an uplift in value just after the announcement)

But I could be wrong. I also don't believe his claims of being a free speech absolutionist; I believe he's in the camp where free speech is the right for him and his friends to say what they like, and for this not to be equitable everywhere else.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I actually think it's more cynical than that. I've been wondering for a while if this was a way of raising money both in the value of what he sunk into Twitter for a 9.2% stake, and boosting Tesla shares in passing by being prepared to flex them for Twitter (as they got an uplift in value just after the announcement)
Maybe, I really wouldn't know.

But I could be wrong. I also don't believe his claims of being a free speech absolutionist; I believe he's in the camp where free speech is the right for him and his friends to say what they like, and for this not to be equitable everywhere else.
Exactly. The precise definition of a hypocrite.

When you hear him say that he wants to let Trump back in, you know there's some vested interest there, perhaps even a bribe from Trump in some way.

Arantor

Trump has said he wouldn’t go back even if offered, but we know we can’t trust a word he says.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've been watchful of Musk's play on Twitter since it began. I can recall how he got in trouble with the SEC after tweeting an obscure tweet about Tesla stock. There are people with integrity in business, though few and far between. When you get on the level of Musk et al. I can't say that integrity is part of their DNA anymore, as greed is a powerful drug, as well as economic control.

So Musk is supposed to be a smart guy....how could he not know that Twitter was full of bots? Even most of your basic "tweeters" know that there are fake user accounts. I plainly call "bull" on this because I believe this is a carefully orchestrated plan of market manipulation as Musk has done before.

So our Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton, is in on this now, investigating the twitter bots. I don't even know why, seems like a useless waste of time.

Trump is using Musk's invite to his advantage, so he thinks, in the hopes to increase Truth Social's presence on the web. What Trump doesn't get is that when a website is created as a club for angry people, that website is doomed to fail, because the initial premise of the website will burn itself out, clearly exposing the failure in the creation of a website that only exists for people to "be angry".

There's enough anger and hatred in the world, the last place I want to be is posting with mad people.

Back
Top Bottom