EVGA kills off partnership with NVIDIA, becomes small

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's not exactly clear why from EVGA quit its partnership, but from an analyst's opinion the market was too difficult to maintain for them. Hopefully, the true reason will come out in time.

Thing is, NVIDIA was 80% of their revenue, so losing such a contract could potentially kill the company, at best, shrink it significantly. Certainly, people are going to lose their jobs over this. People who did nothing wrong...

Anyway, more info at Wccftech where they link to videos from Gamers Nexus and JayzTwoCents that I know are worth watching, even though I've not seen them yet.

Arantor

Apparently nVidia are an awful company to work with - not least because they've been quietly trying to kill third-party GeForce manufacturers for years, but never had the resources to properly go it alone.

Consider this: Apple dropped nVidia as a partner, most consoles use AMD, even Intel partnered with AMD for CPU-GPU hybrid chips for a spell rather than working with nVidia, not to mention other partners over the years grumbling about them, e.g. ASUS, Gigabyte.

Even the article itself points this out:

The company's CEO confirmed as much to a few media channels citing poor margins and a challenging, stressful relationship that was no longer fruitful.

(emphasis mine)

Yes it sucks for the employees that will lose their jobs - but maybe in the long run it'll work out better for them.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Apparently nVidia are an awful company to work with - not least because they've been quietly trying to kill third-party GeForce manufacturers for years, but never had the resources to properly go it alone.
I've heard exactly this over the years and I believe it. Restricting competition and choice would be bad for the consumer as well as the third party tech companies. The graphics card market has always had multiple manufacturers making graphics cards and it should stay that way.

This does sound likely why NVIDIA GPUs aren't finding their way into PlayStations etc. Have you noticed how laptops with NVIDIA GPUs in them always cost a lot of money, even lowish end GPUs, much more than ones with AMD GPUs inside.

Back
Top Bottom