German car quality not so good anymore?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Have you noticed how the quality of top German car brands like Audi, BMW and Mercedes just isn't what it used to be? Do the cars seem to feel more cheaply made with a poorer internal finish, have more faults and not last anywhere near as long as they once did? You're not imagining it. German car quality has been steadily going downhill for decades and it's all to do with profit, as, paradoxically, this makes them more money. The German regulators are a lot to blame for this situation.

For full details about this issue, check out this eye opening video from German media company Deutsche Welle (DW).

Not mentioned in the video, but I've heard from Mercedes owners that customer service has dropped too. For example, I was told that at one Mercedes garage, they used to offer a collect and return service for car servicing and repair, but no longer, not for any price, reasons unknown. However, Korean car manufacturer Hyundai does offer this service - and they're a much less prestigious brand. How come they can do it while Mercedes can't?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TheURL

Volvo suffered similarly when the Chinese bought it in around 2010. I'm told they've learnt their lesson since then, but mine is 20 years old so it's a pre-Chinese era model.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Interesting, so Volvo was sold to Ford in 1999 and Geely, a Chinese company in 2010. Looks like Ford looked after them better than Geely then.

Crims

Wethermon
Interesting, so Volvo was sold to Ford in 1999 and Geely, a Chinese company in 2010. Looks like Ford looked after them better than Geely then.

Apparently a lot of car companies from 2010-2020 were bought by other countries. Rolls Royce is now only luxury cars on their automotive side with luxury cars likely being more present in the future tbh

Last edited:

Mars

Staff Member
Have you noticed how the quality of top German car brands like Audi, BMW and Mercedes just isn't what it used to be? Do the cars seem to feel more cheaply made with a poorer internal finish, have more faults and not last anywhere near as long as they once did? You're not imagining it. German car quality has been steadily going downhill for decades and it's all to do with profit, as, paradoxically, this makes them more money. The German regulators are a lot to blame for this situation.

For full details about this issue, check out this eye opening video from German media company Deutsche Welle (DW).

Not mentioned in the video, but I've heard from Mercedes owners that customer service has dropped too. For example, I was told that at one Mercedes garage, they used to offer a collect and return service for car servicing and repair, but no longer, not for any price, reasons unknown. However, Korean car manufacturer Hyundai does offer this service - and they're a much less prestigious brand. How come they can do it while Mercedes can't?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yes, as a commentator said in the video, the German automotive industry cannot rest on its laurels any longer.
Although I didn't hear any criticism levelled directly against Mercedes, they were certainly included in the overall derogatory review of German cars. Old Mercs were built to last; modern ones are not. Well, you hear an expert says this, it means something for sure.
It looks like voices are now heard in Germany, criticizing the car industry; this should make the bigwigs prick their ears and listen.
However, it was said, towards the end of the video, by both American and German commentators, that cars 'Made in Germany' still hold their unique cachet. They provoke an emotional reaction in people. This is true.
This emotional reaction is worth a lot.
Still, although there was no direct criticism leveled at Mercedes Benz, they cannot stay asleep thru this quiet undercurrent of criticism and dissatisfaction.
They better sit up and take notice, or else the shiny Mercedes star will lose its legendary lustre.

Back
Top Bottom