How a Diesel-Electric Locomotive Works

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This video from Animagraffs is worth watching for the slick computer animations of the loco alone.

Ever wondered what goes into a diesel-electric locomotive? A whole lot of technology that's what and it's a very complex machine, too. You wouldn't believe the range it can get out of a single gallon of diesel, either - and the tank holds 5300 gallons! (20065L)

There actually aren't that many videos on this channel that I've just discovered. They're all created like this and all are worth watching. Fascinating video, check it out.

Nerd level: train buff plus.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Animagraffs also created the chillout electronic music for this video and released it here as a standalone track.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Just watched a few minutes and listened to the soundtrack. Amazing graphics. I'm just guessing here, but do I see CAD software in use to build these moving graphics? It's really amazing to see the moving parts and how trains work.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
If you look at the video description, he explains that he's used Blender and other tools to create these animations.

They look fantastic, so professional and the subject so well explained. I'll never look at a diesel-electric loco the same way again, so impressive.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Oh, thanks...missed that. Blender is amazing and I still have to experiment with it one day.

Back
Top Bottom