Icon long overdue for an update

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's a terribly large save icon don't you think?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I've realised that this disc isn't High Density, either. Sacrilege!

Arantor

Well, not everyone marked HD disks with an HD in the top right corner - and there's no way to know otherwise since Wikipedia tells me that it's 135 TPI in either case, but the picture is juuuuuuust cropped in the wrong place to see if there's a locator hole on the bottom right corner of the disk (bottom left is the write protect hole/slider)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
but the picture is juuuuuuust cropped in the wrong place to see if there's a locator hole on the bottom right corner of the disk
I know, right?! It's a conspiracy you know. ;)

I think it's safer to assume that it's simply a DD disc.

What I've wanted for years though to collect, is an Extended Density drive and discs (2.88MB) but have not been able to find them anywhere. Perhaps eBay at extortionate prices once, but that was it. I'm kicking myself for not getting them when they were going out of fashion and sold for cheap at the time, as the format never caught on, but I was an Acorn guy at the time.

I'd love to have it, because all of my older PCs support the format in the BIOS, so I'd love to try them with Windows XP and Vista to see if they actually work properly. Plus, just to have them, because they're rare and nerdy, duh.

Arantor

they're rare and nerdy
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And yes, it's almost certainly a DD disk.

I've never seen an extended density drive or disk in the wild; at the time they were around, Iomega was cleaning up with the Zip and Jazz drives (though the latter in particular were flimsy POS), until the CD-R/CD-RW revolution came around and we all spent 3 goes at burning to figure out what was the fastest speed we could safely burn at because it was never what the drive or the media claimed...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I never had a Jazz drive, but I had two Zips, 100MB external and 100MB internal which were good for their time, then USB sticks and CDs killed them off, bless.

I had a couple of Plextor DVD burners (712A, 716A) which before they broke down, were very good drives with advanced enthusiast features found nowhere else. One could check the quality of the burn using software to graph the read errors (forget now if Plextor software or third party) and weirdly, in some cases, the burn was best at the highest speed, or a little below. Never understood that one.

Oh yes, WAL knows how to make parody videos.

Back
Top Bottom