Ike and Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I really like the sound of this catchy song from 1973, especially as Nutbush is a slightly comic sounding name. The electric guitars really make it. According to Wikipedia, Tina Turner grew up there, hence this song.

Being the early 70s, stereo records were still new and a novelty, so you can hear how they've maximised the stereo effect by placing instruments hard left and hard right, rather than a general stereo ambience like today. Shame, as I think they should do a bit more of this on modern recordings.

Here's the video of them performing this song. Reasonable sound quality, but mono due to age.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here's a better quality stereo version with lyrics.

Here's an extended version for more Nutbush goodness:

TheURL

I agree - stereo reproduction is largely wasted these days. Listen to Roy Baker's production on Queen albums like "Sheer Heart Attack" or "A Night at the Opera" if any doubt remains. Tina Turner was the quasi-US-royalty, but Ike Turner's character left a lot to be desired.

Crims

Wethermon
I agree - stereo reproduction is largely wasted these days. Listen to Roy Baker's production on Queen albums like "Sheer Heart Attack" or "A Night at the Opera" if any doubt remains. Tina Turner was the quasi-US-royalty, but Ike Turner's character left a lot to be desired.
It's odd that it's up to us, using garageband equivalents, who are left to emulate the classics of stereo mixing. great choice of songs, and I think MCR is one of the best choices of bands for this too.

Back
Top Bottom