Insane theme park ride accidents - just don't do it

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
If you're the type to be scared to go on theme park rides and worry about their safety, you're right to be. People have not only gotten badly injured, like lost arms and legs, but also died on them, quite a few over the years, in fact.

I've been on them, but have always been on the more wary and reserved side. After seeing this, I'm not gonna touch them again. Simply not worth the risk for a potential thrill for a couple of minutes, or simply being scared shitless for that time.

While one might argue that the percentage of this happening to anyone is quite low compared to the volume of people that go on them, I just don't think it's worth the risk for consequences like that.

This is no fun video, be shocked, here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yeah, I don't do these rides anymore either. I was on the Big Bend at the Six Flags over Texas the day before a major accident. Good video!

At Six Flags over Texas, I did the Runaway Mine train about 12 times in a row with a friend of mine, but then we were younger and didn't fear death. I did the Shock Wave once with double loops and that was it for me. I never did the Judge Roy Scream which is all built on wood. Looked too unstable even from a younger me looking at it.

Also at Six Flags, I was on a ride that failed, interestingly, with my Nana and brother. It was the Spinnaker. It was a spinning ride, separate pods, (could sit 3 to 4 people in each) and when the ride started it would spin in a circle and the middle arm would rise to bring you vertical rather then horizontal while spinning. This ride stopped while it was vertical, and we were left upside down, it then would restart and reposition a few times at different levels and then free-falled and crashed down. So yeah, my Nana had nerves of steal that day and my brother and I were so done when we finally got off of it. It was closed the rest of the day.

http://parktimes.com/ptsarticles/welcome/sections/oldsouth/spinnaker/

Nope, no more rides for me. Driving is enough of a challenge in every day life for me now. ;)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I never did the Judge Roy Scream which is all built on wood. Looked too unstable even from a younger me looking at it.
I never liked the wooden rides either. They looked and sounded so rickety.

Lucky you and your family didn't get injured in that failed ride.

Ian

I have done the loopy thing at Action Park, in 1995. Had no idea how unsafe it was, you just had total trust. I felt if I put my arms and legs out I'd get stuck so I didn't want to do that. But I got my back quite scratched on grains that had collected at the bottom. The same day I nearly fell out of an almost vertical water slide. I got such a wedgie I had to go to the "bathroom" straight away. Top times, you never thought of H&S back then.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Action park in New Jersey?

This ride?
But nothing quite symbolized the park's flirtation with danger like the Cannonball Loop--a ride that is better known simply as the Looping Water Slide.

Just read up on this water ride....terrifying!! You're lucky that's the only injuries you had.

Been to Wet'n Wild in Grand Prarie, Texas. The park moved to Anthony, Texas. I did this stupid 75 feet drop slide with some wave areas built in to slow you down (actual distance a bit foggy, this was a long time ago) and I was pretty messed up by the time I blasted out. Never did that slide again. No way!

The Wet'n Wild slide was probably much like this ride since Wet'n Wild moved location:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Roller coaster kills another victim. I'm so never going on one of these things again. I've never felt safe on them and it turns out with good reason.

I like staying on the ground or when I can control what I do off the ground. I really don't even like to fly as my imagination gets the better of me. My last roller coaster was when I was 16 and I rode the Shock Wave at Six Flags. So for sure, no thank you with more news of another roller coaster accident. Poor soul that lost life and the others that were injured.

Back
Top Bottom