The killjoy risks of alcohol to human health that you must know about, but don't want to

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Today is 1st Jan 2024, a time when so many people have just had a tipple or two, or perhaps a full-on bender, to celebrate the new year, so what better than an educational forum post to ruin all the fun with info about the dangers of alcohol? :)

The worst news of all, the real killjoy, is that the best amount of alcohol to have is zero. As in none, ever. Boohoo!! Heck, even I have the (very) occasional beer and don't ever allow myself to get drunk nowadays (horrible feeling). However, if one must drink (naughty!) the maximum number of recommended units per week for men and women is 14, which is around 6 pints of beer and how fast and how many sessions that's consumed in makes a big difference to your risk factors, see box at bottom.

Read all the depressing information that you really don't want to know, but absolutely must, in this article and also the NHS website which has far too many numbers and maths for your alcohol-addled brain to comprehend right now, or perhaps, ever.

Thankfully, new modern zero alcohol beers have been developed recently that taste very similar to their alcoholic versions and hence are quite nice, which can be drunk instead. They're nothing like the gross tasting early versions which I couldn't drink at all.

Gotta admit that it's a weird experience drinking three to four bottles of Heineken 0.0 and not feel any kind of hit from it. The residual alcohol in these products is so low, that one would have to drink something like 40-80 bottles in one session to equal that of just one bottle of the regular version, clearly something that can't happen, hence are safe to drink and you can stand around with friends and still have a chance of looking cool holding such a bottle.

Pro tip: don't ever give alcohol to animals, eg pets, "for a treat", as it can be a literal poison for them (chocolate is poison for dogs, for example) affecting some species and some individuals more than others. Additionally, they can't comprehend what's happening to them, plus they have no off switch so will just keep drinking without limit until they feel sick, hence making them intoxicated is cruel. Don't do it, kids.

Healthier drinking.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I don't drink, it's like having bad food you are sensitive to and I'm so sensitive to alcohol, good grief. I'll have something chocolate instead, works great. :)

Thanks for the article and your extra tips for pets. Nice to see a thoughtful article on alcohol.

live627

I don't drink either. Just one sip of egg nog (I think 14%) puts me into a coughing spell. Needs to be diluted in milk. Is great in coffee.

Source: just had some last week.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I don't drink either. Just one sip of egg nog (I think 14%) puts me into a coughing spell. Needs to be diluted in milk. Is great in coffee.

Source: just had some last week.
I can totally relate to your reaction to alcohol.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This article explains how regular drinkers recover from the negative effects of alcohol from a medical perspective and also a couple of testimonies.

Giving up this liquid poison really is a no-brainer.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good article. Alcohol also affects insulin and imbalanced insulin can lead to diabetes over years of continual drinking.

Back
Top Bottom