J.J. Cale - Cocaine

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'd forgotten all about this chillout rock classic from 1975 until I heard it on the TV the other day. It's really good, with a fantastic guitar riff and is worthy of repeat play.

Apparently, this song is supposed to be anti-drugs, but from the lyrics I can't tell, can you?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a good dance remix with an interesting animated video to go with it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check out his other music from his official YouTube channel:

Lyrics

If you want to hang out, you've gotta take her out, cocaine
If you want to get down, down on the ground, cocaine

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie, cocaine

If you got bad news, you want to kick them blues, cocaine
When your day is done, and you want to run, cocaine

If your day is gone, and you want to ride on, cocaine
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back, cocaine

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good song and nope, not getting the anti-drug vibe from the lyrics.:LOL:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, btw I bought a compilation album that's got this on it to have the best sound quality available and the difference is quite noticeable. Still, the sound is quite dull and analog sounding even there, but it's a lot smoother and clearer sounding than this YouTube version.

And the usual has happened with tha album: only one good track on it. Seriously, it's a double CD with 50 songs and the only one I like out of them is Cocaine! Quite annoying as it seriously reduces its value and I might put this in my pet peeves thread. For a rare, classic song like this, I would still have paid the money for it though. In the end, the album was £7 and I had a £5 Amazon voucher, so it only cost me £2 with free shipping, so can't complain really.

Many of those songs, I wouldn't switch off if they came on the radio, but they don't do anything for me either, then this one stands out head and shoulders above the rest. Why couldn't JJ Cale just do more like that?! :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My dh uses the phrase, "one hit wonder" on some artists....they can have one really great song and the rest are just not very good, like your album you bought....so many songs, you would think there was more little surprises of good songs.

I can think of a few artists right now that have had a few great songs and just didn't put out much else, like Laura Bell Bundy, not that I'm into country, but the few songs she did were really good and the videos were funny and entertaining, but she's one of those artists that's into everything. *Giddy on Up and Two-step....Giddy on Up is pretty funny and Two-Step is country with some rap, a different mix for music.

I get the "why couldn't JJ Cale do more like that?"

Back
Top Bottom