Nerdvana: the 23 years of Byte magazine

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I used to buy Byte magazine regularly in the 80s and 90s until they stopped publishing it. This was a really high quality computer magazine which was unfortunately shut down in July 1998.

This channel managed to buy every issue ever produced and made a video about them. Check out the hell he went through to put them all into protective plastic sleeves lol.

Nerd level: serious.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

Byte was never a magazine I got into; my reading choices were Amiga Format for many years, and Computer Life for a bit because it wasn't as stuffy as some of these other PC magazines, and had various tutorials for things to try that wouldn't require big investment in software (good for a teenager with limited disposable income and an imagination).

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I so used to be into computer magazines since the 80s, then the internet came along and gave me computer "magazines" on steroids, ie tech websites. I still bought paper mags for a long time though as I wanted their articles that usually couldn't be found online, or behind a paywall. I now never buy paper mags and wonder how they keep going after their decimation by the internet.

I used to buy weekly rag New Computer Express from 88 to 91 when it folded. Had an irreverent style that I really liked and I still have a few issues which have articles that I want to keep. I had hundreds of them at the end and little space to keep them, so ended up throwing the vast majority away although I did wanna keep them. Shame. I was an Acorn user back then so kept one of them for their review of the Acorn Archimedes and a handful of others with articles of interest.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
lol they would do.

btw, I've updated my post with a few small improvements, so please refresh the page and check them out. :)

Back
Top Bottom