New A1200 case - help me choose

Which colour case should I get for my A1200?

• Total voters

chrisgreen

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IN THE POLL ABOVE!

Hello!

As you know, I have bought an A1200. I want to recase it. Partly because there are a couple of issues with the machine's original case and also because I don't want it to be beige.

So I'm looking at the A1200,net cases, which will be available again in about 6 weeks time.

But i'm torn whether to go for transparent or black:

1625480561530.png

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 11.29.52.png

1625480539031.png

1625480939266.png

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think black looks nicer, but clear is rarer, so might have more value.

This doesn’t help, does it? 😝

CosmicCruncher

I think black looks nicer, but clear is rarer, so might have more value.

This doesn’t help, does it? 😝
My exact thoughts haha. Transparent certainly looks a bit different. I see a number of black Amigas about online.

Are different keycaps an option? That would be another factor.

chrisgreen

My exact thoughts haha. Transparent certainly looks a bit different. I see a number of black Amigas about online.

Are different keycaps an option? That would be another factor.
Good question. As my keycaps are in as-new condition, I'm fortunately in no urgent need to replace them. Of course, if I went with a black case I would eventually want to replace with black keycaps for the look (if and when they are ever available again). This is exactly what I'm planning to do with the C64c I recased in a black case. For the transparent case, I would probably stick with the original keycaps for the longer term (having looked at both the last run of transparent Amiga keycaps, and the proposed transparent C64 keycaps, I'm not convinced they are a good idea. Too much showthrough from the stems and supports, makes it hard to actually see the key legends. Good for show, not so good for actual use).

CosmicCruncher

How much are the A1200 cases? Might be tempted myself. Also where do you buy from, I see retropassion listed as a stockist.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I do like the scenario where if you replaced the case and then the motherboard, you’ve actually replaced the whole computer and could just put the original parts back together. 😛 You could then upgrade them and…

mikeitstop

Black case is classy - transparent is geeky/techy. I'd go black and then spray matt black lacquer on your keys, followed by new decals (and then a matt varnish top coat).

HEXdidnt

Personally, I don't think enough of the innards are visible - due to the keyboard's metal backing? - to make the clear one worthwhile. Are there any coloured translucent options? Otherwise, black all the way.

RobA1200

my 2p - transparent looks better than black if you’re keeping orginal keys. as long as you loose the metal shielding - crystal original xbox suffers badly from this.
black is nice if you’ve got a cdtv keyboard spare. otherwise it stands out that you haven’t fitted the correct keyboard yet. sprayed and stickers look like, oh, black keys, ah no, stickers.
if there is a black keycap option then rock on.

either way - it’s a bang on machine.

Mort

Personally black looks rather nice. As was said previously, there's not quite enough transparency to really show the innards at their best. (Understandable - transparent keyboard plates wont be easy!)

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
The early Acorns had an A prefix too, my first was an Acorn A3000 and subsequently an A3010

Back
Top Bottom