Ofcom unveils new list of 'offensive' words

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Like Ofcom haven't got anything better to do.

"Gammon" and "snowflake" have made the hit list of naughty words never to be broadcast. "Remoaner" is there too and while I don't like the word, it shouldn't be censored if it's used in the right context, ie not insulting Remainers. For example, it should be possible to use the word uncensored in something like an article on the attitudes of Remainers and leavers towards each other rather than using it as an insult towards Remainers. Same idea with the other words on the hit list.

I feel sorry for anyone called Karen though, who's likely to be a perfectly nice lady and is a nice name. I think this is so unfair, bless.

HEXdidnt

Good grief, what is it with these snowflakes? I understand the need to ensure some words are considered inappropriate for broadcast but, most of the time, the kinds of people who take offense at these low-tier 'slurs' go through life literally gagging for something to take offense at.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I find it strangely adorable when rampant Brexiteers use the word "Remoaner".

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Exactly. Those gammons are the biggest snowflakes of all. And I don’t care that I’ve insulted them in public, either. It’s absolutely nothing compared to the damage that their vote has inflicted on this country and is getting worse by the day.

Mort

Does this mean I can't talk about my favourite meat cut,flavoured with pineapple slices :(

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You can here, this is your safe zone, buddy. ;) Say it: GAMMON!!!

Mort

000000093922500.jpg

chrisns

The thought of no more gammon being broadcast on our airwaves or down our fibre optic cables spurred me into research mode.

I was happy to discover that this was merely the result of Ofcom's research into current common wording that could be potentially offensive to consumers of broadcast media in the UK.

The research is here for anyone interested

With regard to our primary interests here, I note with some trepidation that the list does not include 'Amstrad'.

Back
Top Bottom