Police want Notting Hill Carnival to end due to ongoing violence

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The Notting Hill Carnival is always a hotbed of criminality and violence, sometimes leading to murder, such as the one this weekend just gone. The police were targeted too and some of their officers suffered attacks, including a female office put into a headlock and gang raped, so they don't think that they should put themselves in such unnecessary danger as they're people too. I therefore have to agree with the police that the event should finally stop after all these decades.

I went there once a long time ago and it didn't seem all that to me, anyway. I'll be glad to see the back of it due to that criminality. If it was peaceful, then I wouldn't have an issue with it: let people enjoy what they want. As usual, it takes just a few rotten apples to ruin it for everyone.

NHC aftermath.jpg

Here's some general information about it. Note that it started in 1965, so it's been around a really long time and the criminality with it.

Crims

Wethermon
NHC has been a good experience tbh last few times I've been. Its apparent the government are seeking ways to be relevant with such a divide between us to them.

I dont really mind NHC ending though the timing is definitely odd

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
While you may personally have had a good experience, it's still a hotbed of criminality. The evidence is there and abundant in the many news stories over the years and evidence that the police have that hasn't necessarily been publicised.

It's not a government conspiracy to shut it down.

Crims

Wethermon
While you may personally have had a good experience, it's still a hotbed of criminality. The evidence is there and abundant in the many news stories over the years and evidence that the police have that hasn't necessarily been publicised.

It's not a government conspiracy to shut it down.
it was much worse before

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I should clarify that the couple of times I went, I didn't encounter any criminality either, but I also didn't feel that safe.

Arantor

I think the current government will absolutely latch onto any excuse to police things more, criminality aside. Remember this is the same government mentality that is now actively criminalising protest actions.

Something like NHC is a convenient place to start for policing events, especially in times of civil uncertainty, because (and I can’t believe I’m invoking slippery slope fallacy) it won’t stop there. Not with this government, not with the views they have put forward thus far.

I fully expect this to be a prelude to taking aim at Pride events next. Anything non-conformist is a target.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Alas, I agree with you there. They're almost sure to hijack this for ever more oppression.

Back
Top Bottom