Rant warning: BBC does a "special" on Bates Motel box set

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
And by special, I mean a complete facepalm eye roller.

I started watching Bates Motel on my Sky Q box via the on demand download service. Being made in 2013, the program is in HD, like one would expect. However, season 1 episode 5 looks decidedly non HD, although still a relatively nice picture.

I go back, check the episode descriptions and yup, the first four episodes are marked as HD, while from 5 onwards they're not. The ones marked as HD are noticeably clearer too, like you'd expect HD to look. The ones afterward seem to be upscaled standard def - and that's all the way to the end of season 5: 45 episodes of blurry picture.

WHY!!!

The whole thing is filmed in HD, so why pull a stupid stunt like this, BBC? This is so annoying.

It's a good show despite this silly technical issue, so recommend it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
btw, I've just checked it now: interestingly, while it's still available, it's now gone to Channel 4. Crucially, all channels are now marked as HD. If you haven't seen it yet, perhaps put off by the previous low def issue, I recommend giving it a try.

Arizona

it's now gone to Channel 4.
I remember the Keeping Up Appearances character Hyacinth Bucket having unkind words for Channel 4:

"I warned her against watching Channel 4. She'll come to no good identifying with the continental classes."

:D

Arantor

Channel 4 has a lot of good independent content, can recommend in general. And yes, I can well believe Mrs Bucket would have something like that to say. Our Hyacinth was never one to make time for haute couture.

Back
Top Bottom