Rediscovering a love for read-write culture

Crims

Wethermon
Read-write culture: Media which encourages you to write.
Like this was after seeing Arantors post earlier and my own over on Reddit ages ago, naturally the next step.

As much as I pretend to be a regular forumite I usually avoid them as I stopped using forums in 2010 and there was a general movement to avoid direct sharing of ideas. I don't know if forums could return to the hayday though I'd rather not take them seriously.

I like ideas. Big ones specifically are evocative of actual concepts that are untouched by our modern paradigms of:
A. stereotypical outspoken exceptionist design/views (usually US) - either 'put it out and ignore quality' UK viewpoint, 'Who cares anyway'? US one - both are antinerd
B. traditional - all the pubs and clubs centered around gathering around and watching an old 50s movie and reviewing it like its relevant (a statement which brings to mind 'NO!' 🧐)
And so begins the 'hearth'

Because as a nerd sharing is much more our strength than it is our weakness, I typically get my ideas from mags like Wireframe (a Raspberry Pi mag). They're one of the last places which you can still evoke the idea of large ideas of open worlds.
I enjoy the way how they allow you to really put things as a perspective of your own and how much I'd rather make a game that I'd enjoy than idk, explaining stuff.

For instance - 'what would you do if the world had a Last Man on Earth scenario?'
What would you do? There's quite a lot of room for fun, and if not then what about magic based around the real world? 'How would you apply ventriloquism in real life?' I've only really gotten great answers from people in person.
With just a few thought experiments I'm usually wondering how I would write (and how media itself while now shiny is still in the same ball park it was 18 years ago - terrible in fact)

My go-tos are usually reddit.com/r/dndstories and a rare occasional story online, though being an old fogey read a book by Quentin Tarantino's favourite author, Elmore Leonard. He's smart and knows his settings because he actually considers them much as the above, and it really puts you in his shoes in a human way.

No man is an island, and same applies to our forum. Applying extensive skills without as much concern of the other.
I'm really just pairing ideas down to the core, and hopefully having some good input at the end. Less 'skill upkeep' and more experimentation.

Edited for cohesion.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Despite having taken the sidelines for a long while I have big desires for writing and acting in an action role, So much so, in fact that I have actually started curating settings for a movie. When I feel like it I'm going to be playing a character and start to report on it soon enough.

Edit: as background for this I am at a place where a lot of movies are produced, so it's not that farfetched. Funnily enough, I've recently been called an Alan Moore type, but Elmore Leonard, a bigger inspiration is much more his opposite.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
When I feel like it I'm going to be playing a character and start to report on it soon enough.
Given these two posts, you've clearly give this a lot of thought. I know the feeling.

Look forward to seeing your mad acting skillz in action. :cool:

Crims

Wethermon
Yawn. This backlog of work is huge but finally made headway. Could do with relaxing and sharing ideas.
I had a dream or two just about regular routine life and how fun it is to imagine other settings like HP

Much later update: Nothing huge but I'm back on physical exercises for these action roles.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Update. Learned how to skate, guitar technique improved, and Louise Knapp has brought me back into fiction with a lot of realistic apocalypse stories.
I was very interested in a asari cop roleplay story. Though starting it i cant add enough nuance to be happy with it though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom