Rishi Sunak and Technology

Crims

Wethermon
I'm seeing a theme with this.

The UK government is set to extract patient-identifiable data from NHS hospital systems and share this with its data platform [regardless of those who chose opt-out] based on technology from Palantir, a move that seems set to provoke another legal challenge.

Without consulting patients or giving them the choice of opting out, NHS England and NHS Improvement — the non-departmental government body which runs the NHS in England — has instructed NHS Digital to gather the data for the purpose of understanding and reducing the crisis in treatment waiting times resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's despicable. The second paragraph especially, is a lie. It's obvious why the NHS is doing badly, the tories are running it into the ground so that they can sell it off and privatise it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Like the UK, the US healthcare is also becoming a forceful entity without respecting each individual's personal health care rights.

Crims

Wethermon
That's despicable. The second paragraph especially, is a lie. It's obvious why the NHS is doing badly, the tories are running it into the ground so that they can sell it off and privatise it.
I'd advise voting for Lib Dem or a 2nd favourite, because at the moment Labour are pushing for ID cards (again).

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Problem is, Labour are the only competition for the tories. Voting for anyone else is voting for the tories, unfortunately.

Crims

Wethermon
Problem is, Labour are the only competition for the tories. Voting for anyone else is voting for the tories, unfortunately.
Yep. At least it's basically inevitable that at some point the entire government will be changed over.

Arantor

Well, I live in Brighton, we have a Green MP who consistently votes in line with what I believe - which is usually against the Government.

As for ID cards, there is a valid argument for ensuring that people who vote are legitimately entitled to do so. There aren't a high number of *documented* cases of fraud, but it's hard to know if there genuinely are fraudulent cases going on.

Now, the way it's currently stacked up, it's pretty clearly gerrymandering in action but if they were to add free ID options for younger people (as opposed to only for older people), that would calm the fears of gerrymandering while actually tackling any fraud.

One of the MPs on the committee for the criteria is a Labour guy - but he made comments about how not only were his objections ignored, but how none of the councils out there are actually prepared for it, and how it's being rammed through with Henry VIII powers.

Arantor

There's nothing stealthy about this lot's attempt to revive the spirit of Thatcherism - peak Conservativism.

It doesn't bode well for us with Austerity 2.0.

Crims

Wethermon
Is it accurate to say that they are basically guaranteeing Tories are blacklisted?

Arantor

No, and that’s just it.

Their voter ID guff is all about shutting out voters who aren’t the typical Tory tribespeople, and the rest of their changes, well, invoking the spirit of Thatcher isn’t a good look after 12 years of austerity, only to be told everything’s broken and the only way to fix it is to do more of it.

Crims

Wethermon
No, and that’s just it.

Their voter ID guff is all about shutting out voters who aren’t the typical Tory tribespeople, and the rest of their changes, well, invoking the spirit of Thatcher isn’t a good look after 12 years of austerity, only to be told everything’s broken and the on,y way to fix it is to do more of it.
I think that when Rishi said exploit as a freudian slip it became really obvious what his donors want.

Arantor

He recently went to different TV stations and gave interviews. Each station, he said his number 1 priority was something different.

E.g. to GB News he told them immigration was his number 1 priority. To a grown up news channel (something on the BBC?) he told them it was inflation.

But I think the footage of him smirking about giving money to Tunbridge Wells says a lot.

Arantor

I’m not bothered by the soaps, anything that comforts in these dark depressing times. Just wish it wasn’t Amazon doing it because honestly Bezoscorp has enough money.

Crims

Wethermon
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Much as the topic suggested, I believe the real motive is data collection.

Arantor

Nah, it really is simpler than that: instead of permitting strikes, ban strikes. Ban protests. Ban anything that would draw attention to what the Tories are doing.

Remember: as it stands, at the end of 2023 there is meant to be a throwing off of many, many laws off the statute books, like entitlements to paid leave, worker health and safety and so on. Getting rid of all of those laws would enable the fat cats to cut their costs by paying people less, and by ensuring there are fewer abilities to fix this by protests and striking.

Consider all the push-backs against climate protests, because they showcase and spotlight how much money is going on climate nonsense that the oil/gas/other polluters don't want to pay or deal with, despite being big causes of problems...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
He recently went to different TV stations and gave interviews. Each station, he said his number 1 priority was something different.

E.g. to GB News he told them immigration was his number 1 priority. To a grown up news channel (something on the BBC?) he told them it was inflation.

But I think the footage of him smirking about giving money to Tunbridge Wells says a lot.
What gets me is how a transparent tactic like this doesn't shred his credibility to bits. The tories are such liars and cheaters, it's just gross. Tories out.

Arantor

The reason it works is because the audience in question doesn't care.

You have the true blue folks who'll vote blue as long as they're suitably convinced they'll be enriched (e.g. see Sunak's speech to the folks of Tunbridge Wells), the rich folks who'll vote blue because they *will* be enriched by it (e.g. see bankers), and don't forget the Little Englanders who'll vote for whoever happens to be promising the most xenophobic and regressive policies.

Crims

Wethermon
The reason it works is because the audience in question doesn't care.

You have the true blue folks who'll vote blue as long as they're suitably convinced they'll be enriched (e.g. see Sunak's speech to the folks of Tunbridge Wells), the rich folks who'll vote blue because they *will* be enriched by it (e.g. see bankers), and don't forget the Little Englanders who'll vote for whoever happens to be promising the most xenophobic and regressive policies.
My counter: I know it's not a 2 sides debate, though labour is controlled opposition and has been irrelevant for over 20 years. I was a firm supporter of the alternate vote, because it's generally more viable, and feel that massive reform is needed especially because it's unlikely to reemerge.
The question then would be what would be a more effective policy? I think totalitarianism might be bipartisan.

Last edited:

Arantor

has been irrelevant for over 20 years
Even though for the first 7 of those last 20, it was in power and that includes the third election it won in a row in 2007?

I was a firm supporter of AV too - and voted in favour of it in the referendum - but the leaflet they put out to encourage voting was such a confusing mess I'm *certain* it put people off voting for it.

Crims

Wethermon
Even though for the first 7 of those last 20, it was in power and that includes the third election it won in a row in 2007?

I was a firm supporter of AV too - and voted in favour of it in the referendum - but the leaflet they put out to encourage voting was such a confusing mess I'm *certain* it put people off voting for it.
Ah I accidentally made it sound pro-Tory. I know Tony Blair led into Gordon Brown, and was using hyperbole. Reactive politics is endemic these days lol

Arantor

There's a fine line between 'reactive politics' and 'challenging assertions' - and I may have wavered on where that line was. I wasn't trying to dig into the bias, simply that I agree Labour has been very ineffective at challenging the Tories since they got in, even by 2015 they should have made in-rounds in but failed drastically as the Tories didn't even need a coalition, and the less said about 2019 the better.

But 2007-2010 was a pivotal time for politics and whatever else may be said of Gordon Brown in particular, I've come to think his actions in 2008 prevented the situation from getting a *lot* worse than it could have been, and that they were effective in general but the voters didn't want Brown back again because he's not charismatic. Not to mention they blamed him for 2008 in a way that wasn't entirely fair...

Back
Top Bottom