Scientists May Have Found The Underlying Cause Of Long Covid

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
As if it needs saying, covid is nasty and often leaves a "legacy" with long covid in some form or other. It kills (more so at the pandemic height), I personally caught it, got a relatively "mild" form of long covid and have known people who died of it and friends who know people who died of it. Luckily, none of my family and friends died of it, but most of them got it. Looking back on those covid years feels surreal now, doesn't it?

Long covid is nasty, so any developments in the fight against it is welcome news:

Long Covid is a condition that has been continuously misunderstood for four years. Sufferers experience symptoms such as fatigue, feeling short of breath, loss of smell and muscle aches, according to the NHS. 1.9 million people in the UK are reported to have it.

Until now, scientists didn’t know for sure what caused the debilitating condition, with the most recent research pointing to overactive immune cells releasing high levels of inflammatory substances that can injure organs and tissues.

However, this week, scientists have revealed that they may now have found the cause of long Covid in a pioneering pair of studies which could pave the way for treating the condition.

Sarah-Louise Kelly who wrote the article ends with:

Here’s hoping.

Yeah, +1 to that.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Interesting on long covid and their study reminds me of the Epstein Barr virus (mono). You never get rid of it for your lifetime and periodically it flares up. Lab testing will show when you are having a flare up too.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That virus sounds a pita like herpes, doesn't it? Strange that modern medical science hasn't managed to rid them from the human body by now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That virus sounds a pita like herpes, doesn't it? Strange that modern medical science hasn't managed to rid them from the human body by now.
Yeah, EPV is a pita and in the same family of viruses as herpes and chicken pox. It is frustrating that there isn't a way to rid these viruses. They are very elusive and particularly hide deep in tissue and nerve branches.

Back
Top Bottom