Should "dangerous" dogs be banned? (Poll)

Should "dangerous" dogs be banned?

• I like your qualification idea Retro, let's try that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
With the latest breed to come under the dangerous dogs ban scrutiny being the American XL Bully that's in the news at the moment after one of them mauled someone in England, I've been thinking about my view on the calls for a ban and the existing bans on other breeds like the Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and the Fila Brasileiro. I previously didn't favour a ban, as the problem is mostly with irresponsible owners, but now I'm not so sure.

Japanese Tosa.jpg
The Japanese Tosa doesn't look at all scary as you can see and is clearly easy to handle, as demonstrated here...

Responsible dog owners have always correctly pointed out that these things happen because the dogs aren't looked after, or treated properly and are otherwise very affectionate and loyal (which I agree with) that they shouldn't be banned. We must remember that dogs have the mental maturity of a small child, no matter the breed, so an attack can be triggered by something as small as jealousy for attention, frustration for an unavailable toy or treat, basically nothing actually serious like obvious abuse, hence the breed must not be banned according to them and I can understand their point of view.

This is why owners must research their breed's characteristics and treat them appropriately, or just don't have one of these dogs, simple as that. Unfortunately, that sometimes doesn't happen, with the unfortunate result that some kid like an innocent 3 year old toddler gets mauled to death for no reason, an awful, senseless and unaccepable tragedy. There's no winners here as the child is dead, the dog then inevitably gets put down and the owner gets done for it. Sometimes other dogs get killed like this, too. But none of this has to happen.

American XL Bully.jpg
American XL Bully. Not a scary looking dog at all, no...

Now, my thoughts on the matter are that, yes, while the owners screwed up, sometimes animals can just be unpredictable even when all the right steps are taken, triggering such unfortunate events. However, more importantly, these dogs are very strong and have an aggressive streak in them, in ways that something like a labrador or greyhound doesn't, hence such an attack is very unlikely with those breeds even when mishandled and if it happened, the dog may not have the strength or ability to do much damage anyway. Therefore, I think there's merit to the ban of such "dangerous" dogs. Think about it: everyone would agree that keeping a fully grown tiger as a pet should be outlawed due to the animals' wild nature, despite the fact that I've seen them on TV form close bonds with (well-off) humans and live in their homes, due to their size and nature*. Size for size, a cat is a fearsome creature, much more dangerous than any dog, which wouldn't stand a chance against it, even one of these hard bastard models.

However, I suggest a middle way, avoiding an outright ban and hence allowing responsible dog lovers to still enjoy the benefits of these breeds: stringent requirements on ownership, based on the same principles that require one to have a license for dangerous things like driving a car, flying a jet liner, controlling heavy machinery etc. To qualify for such a license would require things like the following:
  • Formal evaluation of the prospective owner's temperament, criminal records if any, age, health, general background, financial status, living arrangements / family life, neighborhood etc. Failing any one of these will cause them to be rejected, so the next steps won't apply, but reapplication may be possible depending on the circumstances.
  • Formal training at approved centres for looking after such dogs, with the training tuned for each breed and an exam with a qualification at the end.
  • Regular inspections of the dog's wellbeing by accredited officials.
  • Perhaps smaller refresher tests every few years to check that ownership standards haven't slipped.
  • Dogs are muzzled when out in public, just in case...
Where the money comes from for such setups is another matter and would have to be voted on and brought in by the government of the day. In the meantime, I think a full ban is appropriate until this system is put into place, since these deaths or serious, life-changing injuries are so unnecessary and unacceptable.

Finally, there's yet another solution which I actually favour over the above, but I'm sure it would be terribly unpopular: thoroughbred breeds of all species, be they dogs, cats, rabbits, gerbils etc tend to come with congenital defects that can cause them to have terrible illnesses and suffering, which is so unfair on them. Therefore, I suggest diluting the breeds, such that every dog is effectively a mongrel and hence much healthier due to the much wider mix of genes. Unfortunately, I doubt that this eminently sensible idea all about maximising animal welfare would fly due to human vanity.

Waddya think? Please let us know in the comments and vote in our poll!

For reference, this is the official government banned dogs site:

*Yeah, but I love cats, so would love to be able to cuddle a tiger, get rubbed by one (especially the rubs) and give it belly rubs, just like with our beloved miniature models. I'd be simultanously scared shitless of it! 🤣

aussiefooty

No i think people who don't look after their dogs properly need to be banned from owning any pet let alone a dangerous one.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, they should be banned from keeping pets, I'll second that. It doesn't negate my argument, though.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Even a well trained dog can turn on it's family and maul a small child, a story I was told from a vet years ago. We had a very strong willed Chow Chow at the time. I think anyone that is determined to own a dangerous dog breed should be subject to strict rules and law enforcement, should be certified to handle and manage the dog(s) in their care and have all of the safety measures in place. Such owner should go through rigorous training, as, well as their dogs and continued education. I'd go as far to say should be neutered or spayed, no breeding allowed unless you are a breeder of such a dangerous breed and then those people looking to buy a dog from a breeder have to go through an exceptional and rigorous interview to qualify including all of the above requirements and even then, there are still stupid people that take risks, thinking it's okay and slack off their guard and then you have a dog loose and mauling an innocent person. It's defiantly complicated, but I'd also go back to the breeders and the breeders that are licensed should have inspections all of the time. I think there can be more control, input and rules from the Kennel Clubs through out each country too.

In our pseudo country neighborhood it's not unusual to see stray dogs. People are evil and they drop off their dogs they no longer want out here rather than taking them to a shelter for adoption. I keep pepper spray on me, just in case and then there are the coyotes, which the junior coyotes are often out in the day time.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Even a well trained dog can turn on it's family and maul a small child, a story I was told from a vet years ago.
Indeed it can, unfortunately. Animals tend to be unpredictable and when it's a big and strong animal that can be dangerous, the risk is very real. I agree with your various points.

I've come across this article where 4 year old Luna Hobson was mauled by an XL bully and is now scarred and disfigured for life. Doesn't look exactly happy, does she? Doesn't look like she can close her mouth properly, either.

There's something visceral about actually seeing the results of such an attack, isn't it? Of course, one can't show dead people, which would look far worse than this awful example.

So yeah, I'd rather break the hearts of dog lovers by not letting them keep such dogs rather than have a person or other animal severely injured and traumatised like this. It's not worth even one such attack, is it?

Luna Hobson.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That poor child. She is in for years of painful surgeries. Poor baby. 😭 Totally infuriating.

I'm not opposed to banning super dangerous breeds. Instead of killing them, no more breeding but they are in a monitored space unless they are too viscous and then you just have to euthanize them. No human should be put in a dangerous position just because.

You have to control the backyard breeders though and that's a real challenge.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yeah, I don't agree with killing the dogs, even when they've mauled someone. One has to remember that they don't think like us, and it's basically at a very simple level, like a small child. It's quite possible that such a dog has been mistreated and teased for a long time before it finally snapped in frustration and anger. Why punish it with a death sentence for that? They would have to be kept in a secure area for life, though.

What's considered "too vicious" though? I'll bet the proper tlc will bring them round in most cases. Euthanasia should always be left as an option though, especially if the dog is suffering with physical and / or mental illness.

I also think it best that all such dangerous dogs be neutered (male and female) so that the breed dies out naturally with no suffering. A lot of the time, these are artificial breeds anyway, engineered for these problematic aggressive characteristics, so why perpetuate them?

You have to control the backyard breeders though and that's a real challenge.
There's always that criminal element wrecking everything, isn't there? Proper resources and money have to be applied to control this.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
And now that XL Bully ban inevitably drops. :(

I feel the pain for all the responsible owners out there who's dogs would never hurt anyone, I really do, but ownership for them can't come at the cost of ruined lives due to the irresponsible ones. If it was possible to predict which dogs are gonna go mental, then I'd target the ban at those owners, but unfortunately it's not possible, so it must be a blanket one. This is a classic "no winners" situation, only a better of two evils one.

The American bully XL dog is to be banned, the prime minister has announced, following the death of a man in a suspected attack.

Rishi Sunak said the dogs were "a danger to our communities" and would be banned by the end of the year.

The man, named as Ian Price, was critically injured by two dogs near Walsall on Thursday and died on Friday.

While many have welcomed the ban, some owners and animal groups said a breed-specific ban would not work.

The prime minister said: "It is clear this is not about a handful of badly trained dogs, it is a pattern of behaviour and it cannot go on."

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I don't think the UK had a choice but to ban this breed. The American Kennel club really needs to take a hard look at this breed too as I'm sure there have been a share of mauling with this breed in the US. Breeders cross bred with pit bulls to make the Bully XL. What do you think is going to happen when you put that kind of DNA in a dog breed? This is where I have disdain for breeders and their bright ideas to cross breed with dollar symbols in mind, not safety. Dogs with the distinction of "guard dog" like Rottweilers, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinsher, German Shepard et al., all come with a black label warning and most people don't take it seriously when the bring their puppy home. Yes, I'm sorry for the owners, but more sorry for the innocent people that lives have been lost or if they are lucky enough to live, now live maimed for the rest of their lives.

There is an argument for temperament, no matter what dog breed I've had in my life, all my dogs had excellent temperaments because they were well loved, spoiled and taught discipline. Are they perfect, well no. My pom's are little yippers but that's the breed and how males are. DNA is very strong and reliable in many ways. The only dog that was not manageable was our Chow Chow. He did exactly what he was meant to do, a perfect watch dog, and only a few people could be around him and he loved my husbands dad, which was his favorite.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's a story about a dog on walkies with its owner minding its own business that got attacked by two other dogs. This garbage just has to stop ffs.

A dog was attacked while walking across Scout Scar in Kendal by two other dogs.

The owner is now pleading with other walkers to keep their pets on a lead if they struggle to control them.

Chloe Elizabeth said her Cocker Spaniel Cam was minding his own business before two dogs ran around 100 metres to chase after him.

She said: "The larger dog immediately grabbed him around the throat while the smaller dog leapt on his back.

"Hearing your dog scream in terror while being ragged around is so traumatic."

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is good news. Murdering lots of innocent dogs as a knee-jerk reaction is morally reprehensible and I'm glad the government's had a proportionate response to this problem. I see that they've adopted parts of my idea that I described at the start of this thread. I hope Labour continue this when they're likely to get into power at the next general election.

There will be not be a cull of American bully XLs, the UK's chief veterinary officer has said, after Rishi Sunak announced the dogs will be banned.

Christine Middlemiss said instead there will be an "amnesty", where owners will have to register their dogs and take actions including a muzzle in public.

The prime minister announced the ban on Friday after the death of a man following a suspected attack.

Many have welcomed the move but others say a breed-specific ban will not work.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I was worried about that, glad the UK will not be culling those dogs.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Maybe time to reintroduce the dog license. Not convinced this would be a remedy but maybe a condition of license could be a DNA of the dog on record. This may make it traceable after attack or perhaps even from its pooh.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Maybe time to reintroduce the dog license. Not convinced this would be a remedy but maybe a condition of license could be a DNA of the dog on record. This may make it traceable after attack or perhaps even from its pooh.

Good article and premise to reintroduce licensing. The breeders are a real problem and I'm not sure how the UK monitors breeders facilities etc. like in the US? Not only should breeders have licenses but should be subject to regular inspections, not just on the facility but also their breeding practices and records on those poor females that are often kept pregnant with puppies for a couple of years until there isn't much left of them. Makes me really sad to think about what these breeders do, and of course there are reputable breeders that only breed their females maybe twice a year, but I even think that's pretty hard on a dog or cat?

wolfdeer

I personally think dog breeds, like Pitbulls should be banned.

As @Tiffany said above, even well-trained dogs turn on their owners from time to time. I recently heard a story about a family who had two dogs (I'm pretty sure they were both bulldogs, but I can't remember what type of bulldog.) These dogs were apparently very loyal and properly socialized, but despite that, they attacked the couple's two small children.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I recently heard a story about a family who had two dogs (I'm pretty sure they were both bulldogs, but I can't remember what type of bulldog.) These dogs were apparently very loyal and properly socialized, but despite that, they attacked the couple's two small children.
This story sounds very similar to your example. Some animals just aren't meant to be pets.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
You can give all the love in the world to an animal and they may very well be the best pet ever, but with certain DNA, I'd argue that it's the DNA that may be part of the overall temperament of a dog which makes them more likely to snap unexpectedly.

Back
Top Bottom