Songs like Linkin Park?

Crims

Wethermon
I'm getting back into playing guitar and I think no one writes songs like Linkin Park anymore. The guitar is essentially super conformist to the rhythm. The guitar will play 4 beats of A, then 4 beats of G, then 3 beats of C and so on, which is honestly one of the rarest things I've seen in our hyper fancy age.

Linkin Park is a huge favourite though it's rare to find a band that actually even hits the beat now. I play guitar and have a drummer friend, and was complaining that no one hits the 1st beat properly now cause I'd love to see the style return.

I guess in summary I miss the simple things.

Last edited:

Arantor

I think part of that problem is how much of the modern music scene is generated by computers. There was a time that to make music you actually had to put in the time (and the talent) to be able to play all the things. Being in time took time.

When everything around you is automatically quantised and made to fit the beat for it, and your playing made to fit the melody a la autotune, where's the point in fitting the first beat properly?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I love the electric guitar and assume you're talking about that. If you have any music you've created to share with us, even if it's a quick riff recorded on your smartphone, I'd love to hear it.

Alas, I'm not a Linkin Park fan, so I guess that makes me the bad guy. :p

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My fav Linkin Park song, Given Up. I believe Chester (RIP) far surpasses "the Screaming Demon" on this one. 🤣

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Goddammit Tiffs, you've broken my speakers with all that raucious shouting and screaming that he does on there! :p I kinda like some of the guitar riffs though. Perhaps an instrumental would be good.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
btw people, feel free to post music videos that you like in my dedicated forum for this, if you like. Don't worry about breaking speakers again with similar music, either. :p

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
this is too funny

My fav is still their single for the autobots... new divide

I don't think Steven Tyler could have pulled off that scream! Yessss to autobots.
Goddammit Tiffs, you've broken my speakers with all that raucious shouting and screaming that he does on there! :p I kinda like some of the guitar riffs though. Perhaps an instrumental would be good.

Lol....yeah, he's a screamer.....good music when you are having a bad day and need some one to scream for you. :D Hope your speakers are okay.😱
btw people, feel free to post music videos that you like in my dedicated forum for this, if you like. Don't worry about breaking speakers again with similar music, either. :p

Cool!! :) Maybe I'll post some more ruckus music.😆

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well Tiffs, I'm trying to tape up the speaker cones, but whenever there's an especially bassy bit, the tape falls off, sigh. 😛

Crims

Wethermon
I guess I'll be the guy who talks more about Linkin Park :p

No More Sorrow, Leave Out All The Rest, Faint, and Bleed it Out are awesome songs! (too many to link)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well Tiffs, I'm trying to tape up the speaker cones, but whenever there's an especially bassy bit, the tape falls off, sigh. 😛
Sorry about your speakers :eek:
I guess I'll be the guy who talks more about Linkin Park :p

No More Sorrow, Leave Out All The Rest, Faint, and Bleed it Out are awesome songs! (too many to link)
I'll join in...I actually, just now, seriously, just posted the "Given Up" link on my daughter's profile page. I posted a message saying, "Here's some Linkin Park to elevate your mood." :D (some context, she's in college, nuff said:rolleyes:). We just listened to it.🎧

I'll have to look up some of those titles and listen to them. I'm sure my husband has them and I've heard them while he's working out, but not always familiar unless they're my favs. Thanks for sharing some more tunes to listen to.

Crims

Wethermon
Sorry about your speakers :eek:

I'll join in...I actually, just now, seriously, just posted the "Given Up" link on my daughter's profile page. I posted a message saying, "Here's some Linkin Park to elevate your mood." :D (some context, she's in college, nuff said:rolleyes:). We just listened to it.🎧

I'll have to look up some of those titles and listen to them. I'm sure my husband has them and I've heard them while he's working out, but not always familiar unless they're my favs. Thanks for sharing some more tunes to listen too.
Given Up only really works in context imho. Technically it's their darkest song, and it really doesn't work for how literal most modern music is. Though the song is absolutely fuckin' rad. The songs I recommended are a bit slow but still great catchy ones.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Given Up, is indeed in it's own category, amazing, and works to listen too in two scenarios I can think of, at least for us, and that's working out, or if you are so freaking mad at something that you need someone else to do the screaming for you and then it's all better. ;)

I'm good with slower songs with substance too by LP. Metallica has some unique songs.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A band thats more recent is Marmozets - their song Habits is standout.
Feel free to post that in the music video section if you like. I find it a convenient way to get to songs I like. Got a couple of classics by The Sisters of Mercy I've been meaning to post.

Philistine

I would say that the band I like that is most similar to Linkin Park would be Rage Against the Machine. I am sure you are familiar with them. Seeing as Chester Bennington had a very powerful voice you may like Audioslave. They are the instrumentalists from RATM and the late Chris Cornell. I think Chris is one of the best vocalists of all time. You may be familiar with his other band, Soundgarden. I loved them as a teenager. They are grunge but more on the metal side. Chris started out as a drummer and the drummer through most of their career, Matt Cameron is pretty amazing. A lot of their songs are in odd time signatures, but they never sound like they are showing off. It just sounds natural.

Philistine

Crims

Wethermon
Awesome choice P. Audioslave got me into rock music (top 3 favourite songs include Shadow on the Sun) and I've loved Soundgarden ever sInce I discovered their performance at Pinkpop 1993. Rusty cage is f-ing awesome (best song and no one else seems to think so) and it was good Chester managed to play with their band before his death.
Getting back into Ratm

Back
Top Bottom