Sue for candy fraud!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Got a box of Mint Meltaways and Pixies, or P-Nuttles Butter Toffee Peanuts that's only 60% full or so? Then sue the bastards into submission! <evil laugh>

But seriously, the problem is the issue of "slack fill", which everyone knows about even if not the term. It's when the box or packet is significantly less full of product than it would suggest from looking at the packaging from the outside. Sometimes it's only 50% full, which seems to be very common with crisps.

Manufacturers commit this sharp practice, because it allows them to charge more for less product and is hence a form of fraud.

Now, it's true that a certain amount of slack fill is actually required to protect the product in some cases, or comes about due to contents settling, but a lot of the time it's just profiteering and some people are prepared to do something about it. This of course, applies to products other than candy, too.

aussiefooty

LOL i wouldn't bother because i was watching a show that has foodies that go to factories asking questions on why things like these aren't filled to the top.
It's to do with the amount of stuff they have in them.
All those chip packets for example need to be only 60% full because they need to airraid them for freshness.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, if you read the article, that's why some of those lawsuits failed. In other cases the packaging was deemed excessively large as there was no apparent need for it.

aussiefooty

the show had chefs from the UK (your neck of the woods) going in and asking how they made chocolate bars and potato chips.

aussiefooty

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crims

Wethermon
Yes! Walkers Paprika flavour (Lays in the US) finally has more per pack. I stopped buying them though they're my favourite flavour - and they're properly packed finally.

Back
Top Bottom