Surrogate pregnancy?

Nebulous

Is it ethical for a woman to carry someone else’s child?

What should the children’s rights be in the case of surrogate pregnancy? The surrogate mother's?

Should surrogates be used for any reason or only for health reasons?

Should there be regulations on international surrogacy?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's a controversial topic, not sure I have an opinion on it, however, just thinking of the mixed biology of DNA is the first thought that comes to mind, where as you implied, the rights of the child and biological mother; what are they? Can be really messy.

Regulations and contracts perhaps??

Arantor

In theory the DNA is supposed to be from the donor egg and sperm, so from a strict technical perspective the surrogate “has no rights” because biologically it’s not theirs.

But pregnancy is a body-altering process where you live with this … thing … growing inside you for 9 months, feeding off you like a literal parasite. It’s some pretty hefty body horror if you actually stop and think about it - at least when it’s not yours, I guess.

What should the children’s rights be? Tough question, one could make the argument that their rights are the same as anyone else’s, that “just because xyz carried you doesn’t confer any special behaviours” but given how pregnancy is, that feels almost callous.

I‘m not the best person to ask, since I don’t have kids, don’t particularly want kids, and as far as I’m concerned I’m not sure it would be entirely ethical to bring more children into the world right now.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I‘m not the best person to ask, since I don’t have kids, don’t particularly want kids, and as far as I’m concerned I’m not sure it would be entirely ethical to bring more children into the world right now.
This ^^ What kind of a future do kids born today have with all the world's problems that are going on now?

There's a lot more to say about a surrogate pregnancy, but I think this will suffice for now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Agreed, @wolfdeer ..........lots of children in the world that could be adopted, cared for and loved. It's really sad, people abandon children and pets like they are worthless without feelings...same for elderly people that are often forgotten and left alone when they need care more then anything. The world is very cruel.

@Arantor I know of several people in my social circle that have made the conscious decision to not have children. It's getting more grave looking at the future without worry for the children now growing up.

@Retro agreed, in the "devil's detail", perhaps just a very private matter for most people that do this and I'm not even sure how common it is?

Nebulous

Its great for women who cannot carry a child on their own. However I have heard of the surrogate mother getting attached and not wanting to give up the child. All those maternal instincts kick in when you're carrying a child but it's not your child.

Back
Top Bottom