Text to Speech, Speech Recognition & Mouse Alternatives (Carpal-tunnel friendly)

Arizona

Decades of computer use and many years of smartphone use has been slowly catching up with me. I recently had minor surgery in my left elbow (ulnar nerve transposition) to treat the constant tingling in my pinky and ring finger. So I am hoping to avoid the same surgery on the other side. Another motivation is the appeal of ubiquitous computing as a healthy alternative to chronic sitting.

But given my love of the keyboard (and the awkwardness of dictation in many environments), I am mostly interested in text to speech for reading content and mouse alternatives (rather than speech recognition for creating content).

Included with Mac:

Voice Control (rated #1 dictation software for Mac by New York Times)

Included with Windows:

----------

Word/abbreviation expansion:

https://www.autohotkey.com/ (Windows only)

(Windows & Mac with cloud sync)

----------

Mouse-alternative software:

(for Google Chrome and Firefox)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mouse-alternative hardware:

----------

Third-party apps for dictation:

Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Windows: Dragon Home (rated #1 for dictation in Windows by New York Times)

Mobile ($15/month):

Phillips SpeechLive (for Windows & Mobile):

"Transcribe as you speak or upload audio files for automated transcription."

"Use our Windows app to use speech to text in any desktop software or our smartphone app to record on the go."

14-day free trial

"Dictanote is a notes app with speech recognition integrated, making it easy for you to voice type your notes. "

"Install the Voice In voice typing extension from the Chrome Web Store."

"Dictanote Transcribe costs just $0.1 per minute."

------

Text to speech only:

Speechify (Text to speech for Google Chrome & Mobile):
------

Wikipedia articles on TTS and speech recognition:

------

Ubuntu:
Red Hat: https://access.redhat.com/documenta...ility_using-the-desktop-environment-in-rhel-8

Linux:

--------

Cloud APIs (free tiers):

https://www.oracle.com/artificial-intelligence/speech/ (first 5 hours of free transcription)

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This shows just how much harder it is to use a computer if one can't use keyboard and mouse.

Glad the op helped and hope you don't need more.

Arizona

Talon, which is free software, is interesting because it allows for both voice input and eye-tracking input. Talon is compatible with Mac, Linux, and Windows. Its Slack channel is also very active. However, the eye tracking feature requires external hardware: "depends on a single Tobii 4C, Tobii 5 or equivalent eye tracker."

An expert in R posted a video 3 years ago of using Talon for R programming. This was after only a week of becoming familiar with the software:

"R programming by voice with mouse eye tracking: I'm using the Tobii 4C and Talon software to code by voice in R using some custom and built in commands."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom