That olive oil in the supermarket could well be fake

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is quite a nasty example of food fraud which we can thank organised crime for.

I used to buy Tesco extra virgin olive oil in the dark glass bottles. The other day, I went to buy some more and saw that it was now packaged in plastic bottles which are a big no-no. I looked at the selection of oils and then got the Tesco organic virgin olive oil in a glass bottle, at quite the premium price. Tried it a couple of times, but it really didn't taste very good, so having watched these videos, I wonder if it's fake. It's currently sitting in limbo in my cupboard. I wonder if I should run my car with it instead. Just joking, but you get the point.

This first video has links to various helpful resources in the description below it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This second video explains how to spot 8 signs of fake olive oil. It's best to watch the top video first since it explains how the labels can be completely fake, along with other things.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In short, I now no longer trust any olive oil sold in the supermarkets (major ones at that) to be the real thing. See what you think after watching these videos.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Awww...this will be interesting. Funny, my daughter and I where just talking about olive oil today. The olive oil we've been buying does come in a dark glass bottle, but keeps going up in price; Lucini Italia Organic Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Thanks for the tag and I'll watch them tomorrow.:)

Shame on these companies for their fake olive oil!

Back
Top Bottom