The American vice presidential debate (01 October 2024)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
On Tuesday, it will be the turn of the vice presidents to debate live on TV. It will be between Tim Walz and JD Vance on CBS News and can be watched for free on YouTube by anyone, or on your preferred news channel where you can record it to watch later, especially likely for UK residents as it starts in the middle of the night. I'll be watching it on CNN with all the build-up to it.

US
Date: 01 October 2024
Time: 21:00 EDT

UK
Date: 02 October 2024
Time: 02:00 London (BST / GMT+1)

Duration: 90 minutes

It can be watched here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's the 24/7 live feed:

Background info about the debate:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Quick bump to remind people that the debate is on tomorrow evening.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Last reminder: the friendly chat is on in just over 3 hours.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'll watch it...looking forward to a real debate with less controls.

live627

Another 3v1 except Vance came in like Batman with prep time; he legit cooked. He even told the moderators off when they attempted to fact check him, which was against the rules. They didn't let him finish some of his arguments, presumably from a lack of time and to move on to the next item in the itinerary. Therefore, I felt that it was a bit too fast paced.

The moderators really seemed to bring up Trump very negatively but hardly mention anything negative about Harris. Seems one-sided for sure, just like the last debate.

This debate was actually so much more civil than the last one.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The aftermath of the debate proved to me what I suspected: Vance is very smooth and hence dangerous, striking a very reasonable tone while saying very unreasonable things which can fool people. He is also a revisionist. I was also surprised at how cordial and almost friendly they were towards each other. I really didn't expect that and I think it benefited Vance more tbh.

Looks like the result of the debate is about 50 / 50. I did wonder why Walz didn't press home about Vance repeating the ridiculous Trump lie of Haitians eating cats and dogs. Vance's response would have been very interesting indeed.

Vance doesn't give a straight answer to whether he concedes that Trump lost the 2020 election. This is the moment that he lost the debate for many people.

Undecided voters in studio panels trend towards Walz.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Another 3v1 except Vance came in like Batman with prep time; he legit cooked. He even told the moderators off when they attempted to fact check him, which was against the rules. They didn't let him finish some of his arguments, presumably from a lack of time and to move on to the next item in the itinerary. Therefore, I felt that it was a bit too fast paced.

The moderators really seemed to bring up Trump very negatively but hardly mention anything negative about Harris. Seems one-sided for sure, just like the last debate.

This debate was actually so much more civil than the last one.
It's not surprising that the mods fact checked him given his egregious lies, so you can't complain. Walz never lied so there was nothing to correct. They weren't supposed to do this as far as I knew either, so I'm not sure why it happened, but it's not a conspiracy like you make out. I still think it was a good thing though and would have expected them to do the same thing if Walz had lied. I've seen Vance lie his ass off in video excerpts of him at rallies and interviews and wish he'd been fact checked in realtime there too so he couldn't hoodwink his followers.

I'm not surprised that the debate was much more civil, because Trump makes it so unpleasant with his constant lies, inflammatory tone and personal attacks. Simple as that. That man has no sense of decency, unlike Vance.

How you Trump supporters can't see these incredibly obvious things and the many other Trump failings that mostly I post in the Trump downfall thread is beyond me. Remember, a lot of it is direct video evidence of him saying these things, not some Democratic conspiracy of something unseen. I mean, shit, he's not even charismatic. I reckon Vance has charisma by comparison. He really comes across as smooth, affable and a guy that you'd want to hang out and have a drink down the pub* with. If he was going for president instead, I reckon this race would look very different and in Republicans' favour, too.

*Bar in American. :p

live627

We have both bars and pubs. Pubs are mostly in Irish-influenced towns; bars everywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom