The first American presidential debate timetable (27 June 2024)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, I noticed that he was more with it which seemed quite odd. Could also be the time of day was affecting him, given his age.

I think the upper age limit should perhaps be around 65 or so, around the normal retirement age for the Great Unwashed.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
After that disastrous debate, Biden's given himself an off ramp to quit based on medical grounds. I think dementia qualifies as he's showing clear signs of it, unfortunately. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'd like to clarify that I like him and think he's made a good president, so would like to see him have his second term, in principle. If only he was 10 years younger, I reckon he would have wiped the floor with Trump with an easy win, but not now, a likely loss. Mind you, against Trump, I'd rather have any other president, even a less extreme Republican, than this dangerous wannabe dictator and lying charlatan.

Joe Biden said he would stand down from the presidential election race if he was diagnosed with a serious medical condition.

The US president, 81, admitted that he would step back under a doctor’s orders, as he faced a growing rebellion among Democrats.

Astro What

Not so much that he's caught COVID, but his recent interviews have done nothing to reassure anyone. In fact, when you can't remember your own secretary of defenses name (someone that has been in the news a lot lately himself) you have issues.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well, the news pundits reckon it's increasing the pressure on him and that does make sense, because covid makes anyone weaker and the last thing he needs now is to look weaker.

I think it's inevitable now that he steps down. A real crying shame it has to happen, as I explained above, but keeping Trump out at all costs is paramount.

btw, I'm watching the RNC coverage on CNN as I write this. Gonna be holding my nose even though I've got a cold lol.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
And yes, the follow-ups only reinforced the impression that he's past it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
So, the inevitable has happened and a day earlier than the pundits were predicting, too: Joe Biden drops out of the presidential race and nominates his VP, Kamala Harris, to replace him.

While it was necessary, I'm not cheering as he made a great president who could easily have beaten Trump again had age and health not cought up with him. Respect, Mr Biden.

It will be interesting to see how Trump reacts to this, I look forward to seeing Ms Harris tear Trump a new one and then beat him at the election. I'll bet he'll be afraid to debate her...

US President Joe Biden has announced that he will end his candidacy for re-election, saying "it is in the best interest of my party and the country".

It comes four months before Americans go to the polls, upending the race for the White House.

It follows weeks of intense pressure from fellow Democrats after a faltering debate performance against Republican Donald Trump at the end of June.

Following the announcement on Sunday evening, President Biden gave his endorsement in the presidential race to Vice President Kamala Harris.

Astro What

Kamala is going to have difficulty against Trump. She's not well liked by the moderate base of the Democratic Party and much of the independent base has questions about her.
This really should have been done several weeks ago. Joe and his cadre were WELL aware of his issues, but continued to try to wash over them.
Personally, they could run a cartoon character and I'd still vote for them as it is a vote against Trump, who is a danger to democracy IMHO.
I would prefer a moderate Republican be running, but we don't have that because of the cult members love of their cult leader. Trump will go down as the Jim Jones of the 2020's.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Kamala is going to have difficulty against Trump. She's not well liked by the moderate base of the Democratic Party and much of the independent base has questions about her.
For all our sakes, I hope you're wrong. I don't feel confident enough to call it either way though, but will remain optimistic and await the poll results which are sure to come in the next few days.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with her at all and feel she'd make a good president.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
btw everyone, I've now seen articles reporting Trump's response. He's responded with his usual hateful drivel, so I've not bothered posting them. Someone else can if they want.

Astro What

btw everyone, I've now seen articles reporting Trump's response. He's responded with his usual hateful drivel, so I've not bothered posting them. Someone else can if they want.
The sad thing is... everyone knows how Trump is going to respond and it's simply become part and parcel of his expected (and with many, now accepted) behavior. That's one of the issues, nobody is willing to hold him responsible for the crazy crap he says and posts.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, he's normalised it, hasn't he? At least news outlets like CNN do often debunk his claims and call them lies, especially about the "stolen" election. They do the same with his cronies who parrot those lies. MSNBC is even more like this, but unfortunately, I can't get their channel on Sky, so just going by their website.

As far as I can see, Kamala has got off to a flying start and one early poll mentioned on CNN last night said she was at 44% and Trump at 42%, reversing previous figures before she took over, which is reassuring. I'm crossing fingers that subsequent polls will continue to show a lead and an extending one at that.

Astro What

As far as I can see, Kamala has got off to a flying start and one early poll mentioned on CNN last night said she was at 44% and Trump at 42%, reversing previous figures before she took over, which is reassuring. I'm crossing fingers that subsequent polls will continue to show a lead and an extending one at that.
Her biggest battle is going to be with getting the independents swinging over to her and the younger generation. Just because she is younger than Biden isn't a shoe-in for those groups.
Her biggest weakness is going to be within her party on how she handles Israel.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed AW, it's not gonna be a walk in the park for her, that's for sure. Check out these new CNN poll results from today which show that: lots of stats for you to get your teeth into. There is progress, but it's basically a tie, with Trump ahead in some important ways.

Nuts really when it shouldn't even be close given that he's a convicted felon who lies all the time and has clear dictorship tendencies, but that's the crazy world we live in against the sane Democratic run country it is right now where Biden has clearly helped the country in so many ways.

Astro What

I think the first debate (if Trump has the balls to come to it) between them will be really telling. He's great at his bombastic statements that lack factual backing.
She's had years of experience tearing down the straw houses erected by folks like him and pointing out the facts that disprove the others statements.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, I think she'll tear him a new one in any debate lol. She should also fight dirty by pointing out his age and declining mental acuity, just like Trump did with Biden. It's a relevant fact, after all. She should do this as much as possible I reckon, among other things.

I think the direction of travel is now towards the Dems, but we just have to give it a couple of weeks to get a better sense of it.

Back
Top Bottom