The Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Why is the American Eclipse on April 8, 2024 such a big deal? Partial to full eclipses are common however most full eclipses happen over the vast oceans or some states or other countries will get partial eclipses. North America will get a full eclipse experience (the totality part) and about 15 states will go dark (like dusk or dawn) for about four minutes as the moon passes over the sun from 1:40pm to 1:44pm, on April 8, this Monday.

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/

On April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse will cross North America, passing over Mexico, the United States, and Canada. A total solar eclipse happens when the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, completely blocking the face of the Sun. The sky will darken as if it were dawn or dusk.

The link above from NASA, has great information along with 3D visualization models to play with.

The next full eclipse in America with occur in 2045.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2045-august-12
An Eclipse Never Comes Alone! A solar eclipse always occurs about two weeks before or after a lunar eclipse. Usually, there are two eclipses in a row, but other times, there are three during the same eclipse season.

We have our glasses and are ready for the moment. The only possible glitch in this little window of time is cloud cover. We're expecting severe storms later on Monday, but hopefully, the clouds will part for these few minutes.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I hope you get to see it, Tiffs. I've seen an eclipse a couple of times in my life and it's quite something. I think one was partial, the other total, can't quite remember now. Unfortunately, the next total eclipse won't happen in the UK until 2090, so I'll never get to see that one. :censored:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I hope you get to see it, Tiffs. I've seen an eclipse a couple of times in my life and it's quite something. I think one was partial, the other total, can't quite remember now. Unfortunately, the next total eclipse won't happen in the UK until 2090, so I'll never get to see that one. :censored:

We're hoping too! It would make my mom's day if she could see the eclipse.... my dd and I are going to see her on Monday.

Bummer, your next eclipse is in 2090 in the UK. I'm hoping I won't be pushing up daisies with our next eclipse in 2045.:censored:

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Apparently just starting at 10:35 in Southern California.

Geffers

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_103824706_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240408_103824706_HDR.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 2

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Definitely don't look at it without eye protection. That eye damage is permanent.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Great pic @Geffers and link @Retro. I had a moment to fly in....the clouds did part for us about 15 minutes before totality. I have a lot of pictures. When I have more time to sort them out, I'll post the best ones here.

It was an amazing event and every moment was memorable. My dd and I were out in the back yard a few times as it was coming in to totality. When it did, we heard echos of neighbors shouting with laughter and glee and dogs barking. This was amazing to hear because it was coming around our whole neighborhood and even the neighborhood across the creek from us. That was very cool to see so many people taking this event in and enjoying family and friends.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
That sounds wonderful Tiffany. In Southern California if one was unaware of the eclipse I doubt one would have noticed outside. I didn't have any special glasses so couldn't look directly at Sun. Camera shots with phone ok but didn't really show the eclipse.

Exciting build up though.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It WAS great. We were able to share the eclipse with my mom yesterday too. We brought her some glasses and walked her outside to view the second passing of it as it was leaving. It's so "wow" when you look through the glasses. Here are two pics I took. I have more, just need to go through them. I wish they weren't so grainy. I should have used my professional camera and not my cell phone. Oh well, the moment was captured and lots of fun.

eclipse 1 rs.jpg

It was still fairly cloudy. We got lucky to see it. Below is totality.

eclipse 2 rs.jpg

Attachments

• eclipse 2 rs.jpg
    eclipse 2 rs.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thank you, my dd took some really great pics and caught the solar flare on the south pole of the sun too. Does the sun have a south pole?🤓🌞

Back
Top Bottom