• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
If you think that the pain created to achieve the British so-called "net zero" greenhouse gas output has been harsh now, that's nothing compared to what's to come. And it all seems a bit futile when the total difference we can make to the world is less than 1% while the world's biggest polluters China and America continue to ignore net zero. I think we should abandon it and let the eco "warriors" aka pains in the asses bleat as much as they want, but just ignore them until these much bigger polluters start doing their bit. The argument of "setting an example" to the rest of the world just doesn't work.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This post isn't so much about Tesla losing its crown as top dog which I couldn't care less about tbh, but about how these car companies are producing an ever larger amount of cars, in the millions per year, from our planet's infinite resources, to an infinite pool of consumers and with no damage to the environment. Oh, wait...

Of course, this criticism applies to the manufacture of just about everything else too, which is always looking to sell ever greater volumes of "product".

Mankind really needs to start thinking of the great big ball* of rock that we all live on, as "spaceship earth" of very large, but limited resources, rather than pretending that this thing of "infinite" resources will deliver for us until the end of time, because it won't do.

Tesla delivered a record 484,507 cars in the third quarter of 2023, it said on Tuesday, a 20pc rise on the same period a year earlier.
However, it was beaten for the first time by BYD, which on Monday revealed deliveries of 526,409 for the same period.

*Flat earthers you may wish to start frothing at the mouth at this unassailable truth. Start whenever you're ready.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Another Trump term would accelerate the devastating effects of climate change and it's not hard to see why he'd do this. He's old (77) and knows that these disastrous effects will happen after he's dead, so what does he care? In the meantime, he gets large kickbacks from the oil industry.

For so many reasons, Trump absolutely mustn't become president again. See the Trump thread below to discuss this.

The United States’s first major climate legislation dismantled, a crackdown on government scientists, a frenzy of oil and gas drilling, the Paris climate deal not only dead but buried.

A blueprint is emerging for a second Donald Trump term that is even more extreme for the environment than his first, according to interviews with multiple Trump allies and advisers.
Silhouette of a person walking in front of tall grass on fire.
Why 2024 will be a crucial year for climate litigation
Read more

In contrast to a sometimes chaotic first White House term, they outlined a far more methodical second presidency: driving forward fossil fuel production, sidelining mainstream climate scientists and overturning rules that curb planet-heating emissions.

“Trump will undo everything [Joe] Biden has done, he will move more quickly and go further than he did before,” said Myron Ebell, who headed the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) transition team for Trump’s first term. “He will act much more expeditiously to impose his agenda.”

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Once climate scientist thinks we're not scared enough of what's coming down the line with climate change. He may be right.

Are you frightened by climate change? Do you worry about what sort of world we are bequeathing to our children and grandchildren? In the words of science writer and author of “The Uninhabitable Earth” David Wallace-Wells, “No matter how well informed you are, you are surely not alarmed enough.”

I would put it even more strongly.

If the fracturing of our once stable climate doesn’t terrify you, then you don’t fully understand it. The reality is that, as far as we know, and in the natural course of events, our world has never — in its entire history — heated up as rapidly as it is doing now. Nor have greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere ever seen such a precipitous hike.

Think about that for a moment. We’re experiencing, in our lifetimes, a heating episode that is probably unique in the last 4.6 billion years.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member

Crims

Wethermon
This is the right ruling. There's no justification for criminal damage, regardless of cause or ideology.

No idea if they were being kettled, though kettling is terrible, and if they were responding to that then I'd let them off.

@Tiffany UK has very few ways to avoid paying for protesting. I mostly congratulate protesters who aren't punished

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Even if kettles, I don't think criminal damage should be let off.

It's true though that the tories have passed restrictive anti protest laws, more in line with fascist regimes than a functioning democracy. Yet another reason to finally kick them out.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Criminal damage from riots and protests have been seriously forgiven in the states for the past several years. I think this encourages bad behavior in damaging private property. Peaceful protesting is fine.

Crims

Wethermon
There's plenty of factors, I'm just disappointed at the lack of growth from the 2012 anti kettling court win.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Oh great. The crisis continues to go the wrong way. What's new?

From your article:
The increasing presence of greenhouse gases is spurring a rise in global temperature – last year was the hottest ever measured worldwide – and well as associated impacts such as floods, droughts, heatwaves and wildfires.
....and I'll add that I've been reading the predictions of the 2024 Atlantic Hurricane season and it looks very grave. The Atlantic is as warm now that it's usually in July. Like the UK, our summer was miserable last summer and before last summer. I'm afraid summer of 2024 will exceed above average and be extremely hot in the triple digits (Fahrenheit) for consecutive days to weeks.

live627

Funny how no one even mentions the solar maximum. Also, the hurricane outlook for last year was also supposed to be grim due to very warm waters. I don't recall an above average season. I can't be the only one whose memory is longer than a goldfish.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Funny how no one even mentions the solar maximum. Also, the hurricane outlook for last year was also supposed to be grim due to very warm waters. I don't recall an above average season. I can't be the only one whose memory is longer than a goldfish.
True, most people aren't aware of the solar maximum and solar minimum, how long the periods of time they can run and how they affect our earth.

I suppose our hurricane season will be a surprise? Like you, I'm not always invested in what "they" say, it's more of what actually happens. Looks like La Nina will be coming back strong though, which will allow more hurricanes to thrive in the Atlantic this year.

Back
Top Bottom