• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Monday broke global heat records again due to climate change.

While it's pretty warm here in Blighty right now, I'm glad to say we're not getting a killer 40c+ heatwave at the moment and hopefully won't this year. tbh, a repeat of one of those terrifies me, which is why I keep mentioning it.

Monday was the hottest day on record following a record-breaking Sunday, according to preliminary data from the European Union's monitoring agency.

The world's average surface air temperature reached 17.15C (62.87F) on Monday, inching past the new record that had just been set on Sunday of 17.09C - a difference of 0.06C.

The preliminary data from the Copernicus Climate Change Service makes Monday the hottest day on record since 1940.

The record hot days come in a period when millions of people around the world sweltered in heatwaves in Japan, China, the United States and "hellishly hot" southern Europe, where temperatures soared to 44C (111.2F) in Spain.

@Tiffany you'll be interested in this one.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Really surprising and continual uptick in temperatures world wide and all of the records being broken for summer of 2024. I didn't think 2024 could be worse than the past two summers but it looks like it is, and we have a couple of months to go still. Good article explaining the overall weather events around the globe.

Not only are extreme temperatures noticeable this summer, but you can add to that the typhoon season over the Pacific Ocean islands and India. The Atlantic hurricane season story is still to be written. I think along with the record breaking heat, the typhoon and hurricane season will top records, as well this year.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Just in case you were feeling cheerful on this fine Thursday morning, here's another apocalyptic climate change article to drag you back down.

A vital system of Atlantic Ocean currents that influences weather across the world could collapse as soon as the late 2030s, scientists have suggested in a new study — a planetary-scale disaster that would transform weather and climate.

Several studies in recent years have suggested the crucial system — the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, or AMOC — could be on course for collapse, weakened by warmer ocean temperatures and disrupted saltiness caused by human-induced climate change.

But the new research, which is being peer-reviewed and hasn’t yet been published in a journal, uses a state-of-the-art model to estimate when it could collapse, suggesting a shutdown could happen between 2037 and 2064.

This research suggests it’s more likely than not to collapse by 2050.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well, that was a sunny forecast for our Atlantic ocean. Good grief!!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Many more heat records broken. Man, it never ends. 😠

A record 15 national heat records have been broken since the start of this year, an influential climate historian has told the Guardian, as weather extremes grow more frequent and climate breakdown intensifies.

An additional 130 monthly national temperature records have also been broken, along with tens of thousands of local highs registered at monitoring stations from the Arctic to the South Pacific, according to Maximiliano Herrera, who keeps an archive of extreme events.

He said the unprecedented number of records in the first six months was astonishing. “This amount of extreme heat events is beyond anything ever seen or even thought possible before,” he said. “The months from February 2024 to July 2024 have been the most record-breaking for every statistic.”

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I can totally relate to the heat records from February to present. There's always mild winters and hot summers, but we've experienced a "super mild" winter and an extremely hot summer this year.

“The months from February 2024 to July 2024 have been the most record-breaking for every statistic.”

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
See level rise could end up being a lot faster and higher than anticipated which will have huge consequences for the world.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The rising sea levels challenges world wide coastal towns with residential homes built right on their beaches, including condominiums and hotels. I've seen far too many pictures of homes falling into the sea due to destabilization of both sea level and soft ground due to the inundation of rising sea levels. Sad!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
There's such a lot of uncertainty surrounding the precise effects of climate change and its chaotic nature, which this article illustrates nicely. Following my post two posts up about sea level rise potentially happening much faster than previously expected, here's an article published today which shows how it might be slowed down instead.

Note to climate change skeptics: this isn't an invitation to "debunk" climate change as nothing to worry about. It's still happening and the effects are still really serious, we just can't predict everything with high precision. Yet.

There are stadium-sized blocks of ice crashing from the soaring face of the Kangerlussuup glacier in western Greenland. Fierce underwater currents of meltwater are shooting out from its base and visibility below the surface is virtually zero thanks to a torrent of suspended mud and sand. It’s little wonder scientists have never explored this maelstrom.

Yet today, they are sending in a multimillion-dollar remotely operated submarine, potentially to its death. As the scientists onboard the Celtic Explorer research ship repeatedly say: “It’s a high risk, high reward mission.”

The reward is solving a mystery that could transform the understanding of the most profound long-term impact of the climate crisis: surging sea levels. Glaciers fed by ice caps are increasingly disintegrating, and how fast this will accelerate directly affects a billion people in the world’s great coastal cities.

live627

The rising sea levels challenges world wide coastal towns with residential homes built right on their beaches, including condominiums and hotels. I've seen far too many pictures of homes falling into the sea due to destabilization of both sea level and soft ground due to the inundation of rising sea levels. Sad!
May also be from sinking landmass.

Back
Top Bottom