• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Exactly. I believe we've hit an inflection point as I've mentioned before in this thread and hence have seen nothing yet. I believe it's going to be worse than the predictions. Thankfully, I live in a fairly stable area when it comes to natural disasters. Dunno how I'd cope with a flood or fire wrecking my home.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This video really brings home the idiocy of the demands from Just Stop Oil protestors. The situation is really not that simple.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
For your happy, sunny Saturday morning, I've got three depressing climate change articles for you to ruin your day.

Humanity forgets that we're effectively living on spaceship earth which has life support systems to keep us all alive and isn't something that we can just take for granted. However, we continue to rape and pillage our spaceship earth so badly, that despite its vast resources, we're slowly destroying the very life support systems that we need for us to live and have already pushed 7 out of 9 systems beyond breaking point. And don't think that being filthy rich will save you in this scenario as literally everything depends on earth's life support functioning. There's nothing more important.

Earth’s life support systems have been so damaged that the planet is “well outside the safe operating space for humanity”, scientists have warned.

Their assessment found that six out of nine “planetary boundaries” had been broken because of human-caused pollution and destruction of the natural world. The planetary boundaries are the limits of key global systems – such as climate, water and wildlife diversity – beyond which their ability to maintain a healthy planet is in danger of failing.

I've already posted about the following after watching a documentary about this, but here's an article one can come back to for reference.
The planet is basically in the crisis described above because of these bastards. A lot of the damage could have been averted and without us going back to the stone age too, if it hadn't been for the unbridled greed of people like this to make huge money at everyone's expense.

Remember, the oil companies knew about the damage that they are since 1977, a massive 46 years ago and started a disinformation campaign to keep it going. I say "are", because they won that battle and hence continue to rape and pillage the planet just as much as before.

There's also a related uncomfortable truth: modern life simply isn't possible without oil, forcing us back to the stone age, since oil is used for literally everything, so those Just Stop Oil nutters should stop their antics and take a more measured approach to tackling this problem. But they won't.

ExxonMobil executives privately sought to undermine climate science even after the oil and gas giant publicly acknowledged the link between fossil fuel emissions and climate change, according to previously unreported documents revealed by the Wall Street Journal.

The new revelations are based on previously unreported documents subpoenaed by New York’s attorney general as part of an investigation into the company announced in 2015. They add to a slew of documents that record a decades-long misinformation campaign waged by Exxon, which are cited in a growing number of state and municipal lawsuits against big oil.

What about geoengineering the climate worldwide? Yes, they're actually looking at doing this enormous task, but of course, this isn't a silver bullet for the climate change problem, either. It looks like it could make a positive difference if done right, though. However, will corruption and greed ruin it like it ruins everything else? Alas, I feel it's likely to, but all we can do is wait and see.

Governments should place a moratorium on efforts to geoengineer the planet’s climate, as greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise and the climate crisis takes hold, a panel of global experts has urged.

Geoengineering is highly controversial, but discussions of its feasibility are gathering pace as the impacts of extreme weather, driven by climate breakdown, grip the planet. There is no global agreement on geoengineering, and no rules on what countries, or businesses, can do.

aussiefooty

I believe it's not as bad as what some people are saying it is.
If Australia is barely affected by this but is blamed because of China and other countries then that just sucks. I kind of wish that all countries would take responsibility of their own country and stop blaming others for their own bullshit.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Hurricane Nigel is being a bit of a pita. That overbearing heatwave just last week has given way to cold, wet weather, with some dangerous winds and rain thrown in for good measure. I've just bitched about how it screwed up my TV reception, here:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Nigel was a such a long track hurricane. Sorry you are getting some of it's remnants in bad weather.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Scientists are currently worried about a 1.5C or greater rise in temperature making life on earth rather difficult. However, this is absolutely nothing compared to what's coming: 13C average rise and regular temperatures over 40C, enough to kill off most mammals, including humans and seriously stress out plants.

Now, granted that this apocalypse is slated to happen in around 250 million years, you may not care about it (why not?!) However, you know how quickly time passes, so start doing something about it now!

Greta Thunberg, you've got your work cut out for you love, so better start campaigning early.

greta.jpg
Our Greta clearly in the groove telling everyone what to do

The formation of a supercontinent on Earth could wipe out humans and any other mammals that are still around in 250m years, according to a study.

The mass extinction would be caused primarily by heat stress as a result of greater volcanic activity that would put twice as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as current levels, an older sun that would emit more radiation and the extent of inland deserts in the tropics.

The supercontinent Pangea Ultima is expected to take shape when all the current continents merge together in the distant future. The paper, which was published on Monday in Nature Geoscience, is the first attempt to model how extreme the climate might become from that geological rearrangement.

Nice when it's one climate change scenario we don't have to worry or care about, isn't it?

Mars

Staff Member
Scientists are currently worried about a 1.5C or greater rise in temperature making life on earth rather difficult. However, this is absolutely nothing compared to what's coming: 13C average rise and regular temperatures over 40C, enough to kill off most mammals, including humans and seriously stress out plants.

Now, granted that this apocalypse is slated to happen in around 250 million years, you may not care about it (why not?!) However, you know how quickly time passes, so start doing something about it now!

Greta Thunberg, you've got your work cut out for you love, so better start campaining early.

View attachment 1529
Our Greta clearly in the groove telling everyone what to do

Nice when it's one climate change scenario we don't have to worry or care about, isn't it?
I so cannot stand that Greta Thunberg!!!!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Storm Agnes is about to make a mess of the UK today. :)

The first named storm of the autumn and winter season is expected to hit the UK and Ireland on Wednesday.

Named by the Met Office, Storm Agnes is likely to bring some disruption from strong winds and heavy rain.

Met Office severe weather warnings are in force from Wednesday afternoon until Thursday morning.

The strongest winds are likely around Irish Sea coastal areas with gusts up to 75mph (120km/h).

The storm was named after a deep area of low pressure developed in the Atlantic, enhanced by some energy from ex-tropical storm Ophelia which hit the north-east coast of the US over the weekend.

Storm Agnes.jpg
Generic storm pic for dramatic effect

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I so cannot stand that Greta Thunberg!!!!
But she's so condescending and judgemental towards everybody for the most worthy of causes, the sodding weather, so what's not to like? Just look at her snarly expression and how she's pointedly pointing in that picture. I just don't understand.

What I'd really like to know, is who's backing her financially, as it's not possible to be in the public eye like that without significant money and people working behind the scenes, especially as she started campaigning as a kid. Note how that's never been revealed. All we ever see is her, alone. Interesting, no?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Storm Agnes is about to make a mess of the UK today. :)
Alas it didn't! 😦

I was watching the Carabao Cup footie match yesterday and was expecting lots of wind and rain to make it hell for the players, screw up the picture and perhaps get the match abandoned, all for that high drama popcorn moment, thousands pissed off and the commentators going on and on about it, but alas there was nothing at all. Come on climate change, do your thing! :p

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Now you know. Short exam in the morning, so make sure you revise for it.

Worth reading for new weather vocabulary words; fludders, sump, baffin and drookit, thank you!😁

The Scots, who know more about rain than most, have some useful, descriptive words. Fludders is a massive downpour, sump a sudden deluge, and a baffin is the beating force of wind and rain. The result is to be drookit – drenched through to your skin.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Another terrible heat record broken. The more of these articles I read, the more convinced I am that we're going through a global warming inflection point and that's really bad news.

Global temperatures soared to a new record in September by a huge margin, stunning scientists and leading one to describe it as “absolutely gobsmackingly bananas”.

The hottest September on record follows the hottest August and hottest July, with the latter being the hottest month ever recorded. The high temperatures have driven heatwaves and wildfires across the world.

September 2023 beat the previous record for that month by 0.5C, the largest jump in temperature ever seen. September was about 1.8C warmer than pre-industrial levels. Datasets from European and Japanese scientists confirm the leap.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Another terrible heat record broken. The more of these articles I read, the more convinced I am that we're going through a global warming inflection point and that's really bad news.

After the past three years with a Triple Dip La Nina, it's not surprising that El Nino will hold a lot more heat in areas, combine that with all of the other strange climate changes and you have this record breaking year in temperatures again. Inflection point, yes and perhaps some really atypical disaster weather will hit some regions that normally aren't impacted with severe weather. Our last US strong El Nino (2015) brought several snow events to areas that don't normally get snow. El Nino can wreck havoc in unexpected ways. The only blessing this year is the Caribbean has been quiet because of the strong wind shear caused by El Nino and keeping the hurricanes out in the Atlantic and away from the islands.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Xi Jinping is in California today at Apec to meet Biden about climate change.

The difficult relationship between the world’s two largest carbon emitters has somewhat thawed over the issue of global heating, with both sides indicating they see it as a shared menace set aside from other tensions around trade or the status of Taiwan. The US and China are “alarmed” by the state of “one of the greatest challenges of our time” and will work to resolve it despite other differences, as the countries’ joint statement on Tuesday put it.

The breakthrough has been welcomed by climate experts who point out that little can be done to stem the unfolding climate crisis without strong action from both China and the US, which together are responsible for nearly 40% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. Climate talks have been on hold for more than a year but are set to be on the agenda, among more contentious issues, as Joe Biden meets his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jingping, in California on Wednesday.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Climate change has destroyed this business.

Winter is coming. And for yet another ski resort in France, that means facing up to the reality that there isn’t enough snow to carry on.

La Sambuy, a town which runs a family skiing destination near Mont Blanc in the French Alps, has decided to dismantle its ski lifts because global warming has shrunk its ski season to just a few weeks, meaning it’s no longer profitable to keep them open.

“Before, we used to have snow practically from the first of December up until the 30th of March,” La Sambuy’s mayor, Jacques Dalex, told CNN.

Last winter, however, there was only “four weeks of snow, and even then, not much snow,” he added. That meant “very quickly, stones and rocks appeared on the piste.”

Able to open for fewer than five weeks during January and February, Dalex said the resort was looking at an annual operating loss of roughly 500,000 euros ($530,000). Keeping the lifts going alone costs 80,000 euros per year.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
We're diving headlong into disaster. Sounds hyperbolic, but it isn't. So much for our glorious high tech sci-fi future.

Many of the gravest threats to humanity are drawing closer, as carbon pollution heats the planet to ever more dangerous levels, scientists have warned.

Five important natural thresholds already risk being crossed, according to the Global Tipping Points report, and three more may be reached in the 2030s if the world heats 1.5C (2.7F) above pre-industrial temperatures.

Unlike other changes to the climate such as hotter heatwaves and heavier rainfall, these systems do not slowly shift in line with greenhouse gas emissions but can instead flip from one state to an entirely different one. When a climatic system tips – sometimes with a sudden shock – it may permanently alter the way the planet works.

While I don't agree with Extinction Rebellion's methods of gluing themselves to roads etc, their warnings are right.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
We are definitely having a warm winter, just as unusual as our unbearable summer. Hardly any rain. I can see where a displacement could be a catastrophe.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
While this guy has an obvious vested interested in keeping the sale of fossil fuels going, he does seem to have a point.

We must remember that it's not actually possible to do without oil since it drives literally everything in the modern world: it's a critical resource. Fancy going back to caveman times? No, didn't think so.

There is “no science” behind the demand to phase out fossil fuels, the United Arab Emirates politician and Cop28 president has said in the latest difficult revelation for the summit’s Emirati hosts.

During a meeting in the run-up to the summit, Dr Sultan Al-Jaber, who also heads the state oil company Adnoc, said the phase-out of fossil fuels was not necessary to achieve the Paris Agreement target of limiting warming to 1.5C.

“There is no science out there, or no scenario out there, that says that the phase-out of fossil fuel is what’s going to achieve 1.5C,” he said in response to a question from Mary Robinson, the former Irish president.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good article and point of view. I'm of the belief that when you don't overuse one element or form of energy, we are being better earth stewards, by using many resources in alternative ways, rather than just one. Energy resources like, nuclear, solar, wind, coal, hydro, electric power and fossil fuels. I'm sure I forgot some energy resources :unsure:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Global warming continues to do its thing: now we've got the hottest Christmas Eve in the UK. I guess that white Christmas isn't happening.

Sunday has been declared the warmest Christmas Eve in the UK since 1997.

Temperatures hit 15.3C in Heathrow, west London, and Cippenham in Slough, the Met Office said.

There had been speculation it could be the warmest 24 December ever but that record remains consigned to 1931 - when 15.5C was recorded in Aberdeen and Banff in Scotland.

But the unseasonably mild weather lays the groundwork for what could be the hottest Christmas Day since 2016.

"The temperatures will peak today," Met Office forecaster Dan Stroud told the PA news agency. "There is a slight downward trend in temperatures for Christmas Day, but we're still expecting them to be comfortably above average."

He added: "We're looking at 13 and 14C tomorrow, we're probably looking at the warmest Christmas Day since 2016, when we hit 15.1C."

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Sorry no white Christmas in the UK ...same for us ...one of the warmest Decembers on record; such a consistent warming trend here too. I'm still banking on a week of extremely cold weather mid-to end of January that will rival our past three winters, however, I'd like us to be able to keep the power on and no ice or snow please.

Back
Top Bottom