• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
We only have trash - very convenient for me here in the UK, I must say as it all goes in one large bin without a second thought, as it should be. Not great that it goes to landfill or incinertion, but at least it's honest. If you've not yet seen this, it's possible to recycle with all the waste mixed up like this, as I explained in post 296, above.

What really gets me is when a council implements a full-on recycling policy with loads of special bins, forcing residents to diligently sort out their waste, but then instead of properly recycling it (a Good Thing), corruption kicks in where the rubbish instead goes to landfill anyway, or some third world country where it's just dumped without any processing all, poisoning the local environment.

This isn't my conspiracy theory either, as there have been scandals in the news about these kinds of abuses not too long ago. I'm sure it's rife.

Mars

Staff Member
still amazes me how y'all have different bins for different types of recycled trash.
We have a proper variety here: Large brown wheelie bin for garden stuff (leaves, grass cuttings etc.) Black wheelie bin for non-recyclables. Then we have 3 regular bins: green=glass, red=metal and plastic (not all plastic though), blue=paper and cardboard. They also give us a nice green little rubbish bin, with lid and handle, the size of a kitchen waste bin, for food waste.
Once a week they come and clear it, no problem at all.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
One for recycle and one for trash. All of my plastic, boxes and card board stuff (cereal boxes) goes in the recycle bin upon emptying or unloading from a delivery. I guess I'm used to it, but I do feel better about it to recycle.

Mars

Staff Member
One for recycle and one for trash. All of my plastic, boxes and card board stuff (cereal boxes) goes in the recycle bin upon emptying or unloading from a delivery. I guess I'm used to it, but I do feel better about it to recycle.
Same here, I don't mind recycling, not at all. I don't understand why people moan about it. For me it actually feels good.
A drop in the ocean as it may be, still we are doing something for our lovely planet and its creatures.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Mars

Staff Member

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm glad you saw it, so you know that all this being put upon us is unnecessary. But don't forget the scandals I've pointed out where the rubbish is just dumped somewhere anyway? I'd feel like a right mug going through all this bother only for it to be for nothing so someone could make a quick buck.

Mars

Staff Member
I'm glad you saw it, so you know that all this being put upon us is unnecessary. But don't forget the scandals I've pointed out where the rubbish is just dumped somewhere anyway? I'd feel like a right mug going through all this bother only for it to be for nothing so someone could make a quick buck.
I do not feel put upon unnecessarily, and I don't believe in the conspiracy theory.
Sure there is money to be made in recycling, and that's good, otherwise there would be no incentive to recycle. None. However, I do not believe in the conspiracy theory that all the rubbish is being shipped away and dumped in foreign seas.
We see recycled products all over the place, carrier bags do not proliferate the way they did before, plastic and paper and metal is being recycled.
Is it perfect? Of course not; what is.
It is not all doom and gloom however. Some landfills are sustainable, and we recover the methane as organic matter decomposes. Some are covered over and transformed into usable land.
I confess, I am rather fond of my colorful recycle bins.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's not conspiracy theory. I explained that I saw these scandals on the news, BBC website etc, this stuff really happens. It was within the last year or so, too.

It's good that they're doing more with landfills like you describe.

Mars

Staff Member
It's not conspiracy theory. I explained that I saw these scandals on the news, they ship the 'rubbish', i.e.BBC website etc, this stuff really happens. It was within the last year or so, too.

It's good that they're doing more with landfills like you describe.
My understanding is that the non recyclables are shipped overseas for incineration.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
My understanding is that the non recyclables are shipped overseas for incineration.
They might be. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit of both. The important point is that it wasn't conspiracy theory though.

Mars

Staff Member
Hey kids, climate change is gonna kill off the world's food supply quicker than we thought. Better panic buy at the supermarket while we still can...

Thanks for the warning; apparently shortage has already started, my supermarket delivery today had my spinach and radish missing...:(
I am now starting to make a food list and will order a big freezer to store the lot!
I might have to build an extension to house the extra freezers+fridges+shelves for dry goods....🙃
I might have to get a loan to finance all these extra expenses....

Or I might just forget the whole thing and live happily ever after:giggle:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Thing is, brexit is already causing food shortages in certain areas. It's caused a much shorter shelf life for sure with a lot of items, especially. So many fresh foods that used to expire in 5-7 days now have just a day or two left on them. I've even seen them expire on the day, or be already out of date - and this is at the big Tesco stores too, with lots of footfall. When the expiry is so short, I don't usually buy them.

Add the negative effects of climate change and it could get grim.

Mars

Staff Member
Thing is, brexit is already causing food shortages in certain areas. It's caused a much shorter shelf life for sure with a lot of items, especially. So many fresh foods that used to expire in 5-7 days now have just a day or two left on them. I've even seen them expire on the day, or be already out of date - and this is at the big Tesco stores too, with lots of footfall. When the expiry is so short, I don't usually buy them.

Add the negative effects of climate change and it could get grim.
I blame it on brexit rather then climate change. Climate change would have a -ve effect, but for us consumers the main bugger is brexit.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Running out of water is no joke, even for temporary periods, but we're heading for it with climate change. Time to stockpile water bottles...

Twenty-five countries that are home to a quarter of the world’s population are facing extreme water stress, according to new research.

Data from the World Resources Institute suggests these countries are regularly using 80% of their water supplies each year.

WRI’s Aqueduct water risk map reveals demand for water is increasing around the world and has more than doubled since 1960.

“Living with this level of water stress jeopardises people’s lives, jobs, food and energy security. Water is central to growing crops and raising livestock, producing electricity, maintaining human health, fostering equitable societies and meeting the world’s climate goals. Without better water management, population growth, economic development and climate change are poised to worsen water stress,” the report’s authors say.
Yeah, you're not kidding.

live627

I'm sorry, water bottles? 🤣 If I lived in Florida right now (hurricane season) I'd want to stockpile ten 5-gallon jugs .

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Areas getting rainfall don't normally get it in excess, while others are not getting any or very little rain. It's mind boggling how we can predict the weather but can't get water very well to those that need it the most.

I've been on hurricane season watch since the beginning of August and @live627 I'd stock a lot of water too. I'm predicting a very strange hurricane season.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This video illustrates very clearly how the current climate change is caused by mankind and is not a natural cycle, of which there are several. There's really no arguing with the fossil record.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
It's crazy that we're breaking heat records in September.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
Well I guess I don't know what the weather is like over in the UK during September

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's pretty hot here right now. The UK used to be a cold and miserable country weatherwise, but it's become very temperate over the last few years and these heat waves have turned it into a hot country during those periods. If that doesn't scream climate change / global warming, then I don't know what does.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
Sounds about right. It's quite disturbing that we're seeing these huge changes in our short lifetimes, rather than over millions of years like before.

Back
Top Bottom