The Eagles - Hotel California (2013 Remaster)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
How I haven't posted this classic here yet, I dunno. Rockin' all the way from 1977, remember, you can check out, but you can never leave...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

What’s interesting to me is how tight the Eagles were (well, at one point) that they could pull this off live, basically studio perfect.

And well, with one of them wearing a brick themed suit. Also, shout out to the drummer for singing while drumming. This is harder than it seems.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That was a really good live performance, very similar to the studio version. Glenn Frey isn't singing though, which makes a big difference. I know he died of a long term illness in 2016 so I wonder if he perhaps already wasn't well when this was recorded in 1998.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is a pretty clever explanation about what the song could be about, with memes for every verse.

It could mean several things, such as a bad drug trip, but I think it could also mean that he's actually in hell, especially because of the last line of the song that he can check out, but can never leave.

Arantor

I think it’s a little deeper than that. My sense is that it’s not about (literal) hell or a drug trip but more… discovering the rock star life, the partying, the drugs, the enthusiasm. The lifestyle is a drug in itself for many and the narrative to me says it’s that descent into the lifestyle, the loss of innocence, the gaining of experience and the price for it.

After all, once you’re famous, you’re never free any more.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It could be. Heck, even the band aren't sure! And it's kept us all guessing and talking about it for 44 years. Very clever.

I like my explanation though. So trapped...

Arantor

I meant to post thsi earlier, but controversially, my favourite Eagles song is not Hotel California (though it is easily my *second* favourite)...

My favourite is this little number:

Which was later used by Douglas Adams & co as the theme tune to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I believe for both the radio and TV editions, definitely the TV edition but it's been a while since I listened to the radio edition...)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
controversially, my favourite Eagles song is not Hotel California
Wot?! Ah well, you can talk to the hand then! :p

But seriously, it's quite a surprise to find out that the theme tune to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was derived from this. I do like that refrain, although the rest of the track doesn't do much for me.

Mars

Staff Member
It could be. Heck, even the band aren't sure! And it's kept us all guessing and talking about it for 44 years. Very clever.

I like my explanation though. So trapped...
Yeah, I agree, it has also struck me the same way. That the song is not necessarily about drugs, or lifestyle, but that it is about a personal hell, from which there seems to be no escape.

Back
Top Bottom