What Are The Differences Between “Nerds”, “Geeks”, And “Dorks”?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Now here's a subject that's perfect for NerdZone! Before creating this forum, I checked on the current usage of nerd, saw that it was actually quite popular now and doesn't have the negative connotations that it used to. Personally, I consider myself more of a geek due to my techy interests.

The differences between nerds, geeks and dorks are explained in the article below. Nerds and geeks are cool now, but DorkZone still wouldn't be a good idea.

These names used to be roughly interchangeable when distinguishing the social outcasts from the in-crowd in school. Yet, those so-called social rejects were destined to rule the world in the form of Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, et al. “The geek shall inherit the earth,” indeed. Oh yeah, and billions of dollars.

There’s a lot of overlap in the meanings of nerd, geek, and dork. Yet, some of these terms have grown up a little more than others, and even wriggled away from their initial negative connotations.

Today, being a geek or a nerd no longer implies that you’ll receive a horrible wedgie and get thrown in a locker. Based on popular usage of these terms, geeks and nerds are a new brand of cool kid.

Crims

Wethermon
I was thinking about this yesterday. Nerds are right brain minded, with a interest in one particular subject. Geeks are usually left brain minded, more skin deep regarding topics that nerds can talk about for hours. I've said before geeks like Marvel movies and can small talk more than nerds, though its not always that case. Dorks are i guess people who half commit in general lol
Sometimes they cross over, like my friend who loves Eva, which is a TV show, and yet hes really serious about it. In which case I'd say strict geeks are also nerds, ish.
Nerds are more likely to find similarities where geeks would find analogues.

I find it similar to sociopath versus psychopath, where it seems the exact same.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I read an article once which debunked the right brain / left brain idea. Not sure which is correct though without checking this out again.

It does look like the definitions of nerd, geek etc are somewhat fluid.

Crims

Wethermon
Another part is perception. Its a nerdy thing to go into long rants about asinine things, and we've long adopted the popular culture of ghettoised 'you nerd' pejorative for a lot of earnest passioned talk. Geeks and now normal people can talk at length about Disney content though it was a nerdy, shameful thing in the past. I could discuss game design for hours to be honest, if I was comfortable with saying 'this sucks' with the person (eg they're a nerd so its probably not going to hurt them).

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
To me nerd and geek are synonymous to each other and are compliments in my world. Dork, on the other hand brings to mind serious dad-fashion-faux-pas memories, as my dad committed in the 70's, such as white shoes with black socks while wearing 70's version of short utility shorts, add the polka dot shirt with wide collar and there it is.🫣

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
To me, dork means a total idiot, really useless person whom you're embarrassed to be around, hence I would never create a DorkZone, but could create a GeekZone.

Crims

Wethermon
To me, dork means a total idiot, really useless person whom you're embarrassed to be around, hence I would never create a DorkZone, but could create a GeekZone.
You could make it ironic, and so people could just say what they like on it lol

Crims

Wethermon
Bumping this thread.
I was thinking earlier today about classic movies, and how there are very few 'nerd' films in general.
Hollywood hasn't produced anything I'd call 'nerdy' in at least 10 years. Listening to a few musicians that I'd group up with that tbh, though it's staggering and they're usually a hit with critics. Take for example Quentin Tarantino, he hasn't either, despite his background as a whiz.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My favorite movie with the best nerd scenes is Galaxy Quest. I had no idea it's from 1999. So indeed, not a lot of nerd movies.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Favorite Nerd in Galaxy Quest: Justin Long as Brandon

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh man, that movie was epic!

Loved that scene near the start when they can't fly the ship and it scrapes along the sides.

Mars

Staff Member
Yeah, 'dork' is a cousin of 'dipstick'.
'Nerd' is nice. I like nerd, plse don't change to 'GeekZone'

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, 'dork' is a cousin of 'dipstick'.
'Nerd' is nice. I like nerd, plse don't change to 'GeekZone'
GeekZone it is! :p

Incidentally, I did check a couple of geekzone domains and they were taken anyway. I wouldn't change NZ for anything, you can be assured of that.

Mars

Staff Member
GeekZone it is! :p

Incidentally, I did check a couple of geekzone domains and they were taken anyway. I wouldn't change NZ for anything, you can be assured of that.
Ahhh, that's good to know.
NewZealand I mean NerdZone (sorry, nerdy me.... 🙃 ) is here to stay!

Back
Top Bottom