WhatsApp security code scam

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's a scam that every WhatsApp user should know about. Since it involves social engineering, it's easy to avoid falling into the trap.

All WhatsApp users in the UK have been warned a new scam could see criminals take control of their accounts.

Scammers will pose as family and friends to request a security code, which they can use to steal access to your WhatsApp account.

Action Fraud, the UK’s national reporting centre for cybercrime and fraud, has received more than 60 reports related to the new scam.

Criminals gain access to an account that lists you as a contact, before posing as that account and starting a seemingly normal conversation.

Crims

Wethermon
This is quite interesting. I keep getting recommended to use Whatsapp, though with this I might have a reason to not.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Crims, I wouldn't worry about it as it takes social engineering to fall foul of this. If you get a request to give out the code, you know it's a scammer, so just block them and delete their message. I've been using WA for years and never had to confirm the code with anyone out of thousands of messages.

With WA you benefit from a huge de facto userbase, end-to-end encryption, some good features and is reliable, so I recommend installing it.

Crims

Wethermon
At the end of the day, my main issue with Whatsapp has to do with the people I talk to on it. Thanks for the tip, though I'm not swayed into Whatsapp at the moment. I've used Whatsapp, it's just that since quitting I've had a lot of recommendations to use it, and often when I start using the experience isn't worth it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thanks for sharing. I have Whatsapp, but I don't use it. I keep forgetting to uninstall it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
At the end of the day, my main issue with Whatsapp has to do with the people I talk to on it. Thanks for the tip, though I'm not swayed into Whatsapp at the moment. I've used Whatsapp, it's just that since quitting I've had a lot of recommendations to use it, and often when I start using the experience isn't worth it.

You're saying that WA attracts the wrong sorts of people? That's the first time I've heard that and I've not noticed this. Being the defacto texting platform, it attracts everybody.

Anyway, you've tried it so have made an informed choice that you don't like it and that's your prerogative. I'm curious, what don't you like about it?

I know someone who left it for Telegram because WA is owned by Meta (Fakebook* owners) and he doesn't like that company or their policies. Mind you, I don't like them either, lol.

*I'm using the correct version of the name, @Tiffany. :p

Crims

Wethermon
You're saying that WA attracts the wrong sorts of people? That's the first time I've heard that and I've not noticed this. Being the defacto texting platform, it attracts everybody.

Anyway, you've tried it so have made an informed choice that you don't like it and that's your prerogative. I'm curious, what don't you like about it?

I know someone who left it for Telegram because WA is owned by Meta (Fakebook* owners) and he doesn't like that company or their policies. Mind you, I don't like them either, lol.

*I'm using the correct version of the name, @Tiffany. :p
In London, most people you talk to on Whatsapp devalue your time. Hence it's not the service, not the privacy and not the community - it's where and the surrounding aspects of the service.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I wish the main players on the internet (facebook 😝etc.) didn't have so much of a monopoly on communication services.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
I wish the main players on the internet (facebook 😝etc.) didn't have so much of a monopoly on communication services.
As Retro mentioned, whatsapp appears to be the de facto messaging app, not necessarily the best but they have a foothold and are the most popular. Ask most people "Are you on whatsapp" and they mainly answer yes. Signal is probably a better app but few have it installed.

Not familiar with this 'security code' :unsure:

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, when someone changes their phone, that number is supposed to confirm their identity to others in existing chats. tbh, I don't fully understand how it works and the system continues to work just fine without confirming it, so I never jump through this hoop.

It's true that it's often not the best system that becomes the de facto standard. Note that Telegram stores all messages in encrypted form on central servers, while WA stores all messages in encrypted form on the user's smartphone. Both systems have their pros and cons.

Here's an article about the law catching up with scammers, some of whom have used that 2FA trick I posted about at the top of this thread. The shame of it is that this is the tip of the iceberg.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
As Retro mentioned, whatsapp appears to be the de facto messaging app, not necessarily the best but they have a foothold and are the most popular. Ask most people "Are you on whatsapp" and they mainly answer yes. Signal is probably a better app but few have it installed.

Not familiar with this 'security code' :unsure:

Geffers
When I was working with a realtor in a "long distance" sort of situation, she asked me if I had Whatsapp. That was when I downloaded the app for the first time. It was fine for communication. The abuse of it was when a certain company would solicit business through it to me rather than go through the proper channels such as email. I never knew who was sending me the offers and that's when I stopped using it, especially after I received someone's personal pictures from home, where they obviously made a mistake and sent to me....thankfully, they were appropriate. I'll look at Signal, just out of curiosity, thank you!
Tiffs, when someone changes their phone, that number is supposed to confirm their identity to others in existing chats. tbh, I don't fully understand how it works and the system continues to work just fine without confirming it, so I never jump through this hoop.

It's true that it's often not the best system that becomes the de facto standard. Note that Telegram stores all messages in encrypted form on central servers, while WA stores all messages in encrypted form on the user's smartphone. Both systems have their pros and cons.

Here's an article about the law catching up with scammers, some of whom have used that 2FA trick I posted about at the top of this thread. The shame of it is that this is the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks for the article. I'll take a look. Yeah, the chat thing can be weird, like I mentioned above, the company was sending me messages and soliciting business and I always could tell it wasn't the same person. I had to sternly request they stop using the app and any and all business must be on their website through their messaging or ticketing system or through the email. OMG!!

Back
Top Bottom