When "static" IP addresses change

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Someone got a rude awakening when Hyperoptic changed their static IP address without warning after a systems upgrade, locking them out of work related websites. Unsurprisingly, complaining doesn't help much, either.

When is a Static IP (Internet Protocol) address, not a Static IP address? The answer to this question should be simple (i.e. when it changes), but a recent consumer complaint against popular broadband ISP Hyperoptic has helped to highlight how the market appears to lack a common position on how to manage them.

Uncrowned

A mass change of static IPs seems like a huge failure on the ISP. I couldn't even imagine how many small businesses paid to have stuff setup and then it just didn't connect one day.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'd have thought this is bad enough that they could get sued over it.

Uncrowned

I'd have thought this is bad enough that they could get sued over it.
I would be very curious about this as having servers, emails, etc. go down can cost a lot of money and sales. I guess it depends on the terms of service for the static IP plans. I'm sure ISPs will do everything they can to sweep it under the rug.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, it could bring down a business if the outage is severe enough and the company is small enough without sufficient contingency measures.

Back
Top Bottom