Why aren't there any diesel motorcycles?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
For all its advantages, there are some killer disadvantages to diesel. This video explains all.

Personally, I'm glad they never took off, because a diesel exhaust is horrible, even the latest, "cleaner" ones. Smells awful, choking and all those particulates are bad for health. A modern petrol isn't exactly great either, but it's a big improvement over this.

@Geffers this one's especially for you.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Interesting video. Diesels were always considered smelly and slow but technology changed all that. Strange that 20 years ago the Government policy encouraged people to buy diesels. Never trust Governments, their motives are often not what they appear. Guess weight would be a major factor with bikes, balance and particularly cornering.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, I remember groaning when our precious tory gubmint did that. And surprise surprise, years later they do a u-turn on it.

In the end, even the most modern of diesel engines has a rank, choking odour stopping me from breathing properly, although not as bad as the old ones belching smoke.

In the end, they still emit those nasty cancer causing particulates, which is why they're being phased out now. Perhaps it's possible to filter them all out, but at a prohibitive cost, I don't know. I just know that I'll be glad to see the back of diesels.

The one thing that did improve with them was performance in cars. Many fast cars have been made with them, including a fast Golf that my friend had about 15 years ago. It really shifted.

Back
Top Bottom