Why do rockets have fins?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's a fascinating Action Lab video explaining why rockets normally must have fins to fly straight. Now, I'm pretty good at physics principles and know most of the common stuff, but today I learned something new. Check it out.

Nerd level: rocket scientist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crims

Wethermon
I honestly enjoy critiquing these things, though I could easily summarise with @Aerodynamic :rolleyes:

I enjoyed learning about center of pressure - I wasn't a physics uni student, the video helps a lot with teaching the principles.

Mars

Staff Member
Here's a fascinating Action Lab video explaining why rockets normally must have fins to fly straight. Now, I'm pretty good at physics principles and know most of the common stuff, but today I learned something new. Check it out.

Nerd level: rocket scientist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Great stuff, well explained, even I could understand it.
That is what I love about physics, you can't escape its laws, and when those laws are understood and obeyed, the sky is the limit, literally. Or should I say the sky and beyond.....

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Mars yeah, physics is fascinating and Action Lab is especially good at explaining these things and making them interesting with their slightly dodgy home demos. I encourage you to browse the channel and watch a couple more. 🙂

Mars

Staff Member
@Mars yeah, physics is fascinating and Action Lab is especially good at explaining these things and making them interesting with their slightly dodgy home demos. I encourage you to browse the channel and watch a couple more. 🙂
Yeah thanks, I will.
BTW, talking about the Laws of Physics: it's all fine and good until you stumble onto Quantum Physics, where nothing is as it seems; a truly upside down world 🙃

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yes, quantum physics. I don't think anyone truly understands it completely, not even the best physicists. Yet, it stand up very well to experimental verification, with superposition and spooky action at a distance being the weirdest.

Mars

Staff Member
Oh yes, quantum physics. I don't think anyone truly understands it completely, not even the best physicists. Yet, it stand up very well to experimental verification, with superposition and spooky action at a distance being the weirdest.
True, it definitely stands up to experimental verification, yet it has this elusive quality about it. I shall never forget hearing a comment by a quantum physicist, who said "if you ever hear someone say they completely understand quantum physics, don't believe them. I work with it every day of my life, and I don't".

It is truly a riddle wrapped in a mystery deep within an unfathomable enigma, quite frightening really.

Back
Top Bottom