Why water is one of the weirdest things in the universe

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This 3 minute video explains exactly why.

There's a lot of things about our universe that are strange when one thinks about it, such as the cosmic speed limit of light, time dilation and black holes to name just a few.

Crims

Wethermon
This is right up my alley! Water is a scientific curiosity, and I've studied it intensely. I have a lot about why water is so important, def going to return to this post. I think the most interesting part of it is how similar it is scientifically with spacetime, behaviourally.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I mean, when it freezes, it becomes bigger, which infers a stored energy that no one has any way to quantify.
IMHO it works microscopically within itself, rather than macroscopic.
Some scientists consider it as 2 liquids. I personally think of 4-5, acts like 6 or so but 3-4 at the regular point, where it sort of completes a lot of interactions recessively. On a quantum level, H2o leads to bonds which don't make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think it's interesting how water is weird enough that its physics still isn't fully understood even in these modern times. That's quite something for a chemical that's been studied as intensively as water.

Crims

Wethermon
A large part of it is that, like spacetime, a lot of things that relate to water and basics require the assumption that our knowledge of water is correct. A lot of scientists regard water as not as important! Like it's not something recently discovered to be everywhere in the universe.

^One of the believed 19 phases of ice that exist.

Last edited:

Arizona

"The researchers expected that the ball mill would just break the ice crystals into smaller ice crystals. But that's not what happened. Instead, the tumbling steel balls sheared and compressed the ice crystals, shoving them into a new state of disorganization. The result? Medium-density amorphous ice."

"The new form of ice forms at 77 kelvins, or minus 321 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 196 degrees Celsius)."

Back
Top Bottom