Winter Solstice

Mars

Staff Member
Today is the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, the shortest day of the year. The precise moment will be at 21:48. The days will start getting longer again from tomorrow and the summer solstice is now only six months away... :)

Well actually, to tell the truth? I love those short wintry days and long dark nights.....
Ohhhh I can now hear the hum of disapproval.....o_O; but that ok, winter is my season.

Arantor

Good for us here, because it means the days will start getting longer again and that winter depression due to reduced sunlight will start to fade.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ah yes, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It really is a thing. It's great for a deep and meaningful depression.

Arantor

Never been officially diagnosed with it but both myself and my wife find our baseline depression ramps up high when the winter comes. It could also be some deficiency in vitamin D though...

Uncrowned

I enjoy the winter weather as I would rather have to wear a jacket than not be able to cool off. However, I would prefer more daylight.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I tend to prefer the winter too as I can't stand oppressive heat. Or, put another way, when I go home in the winter, regardless of how cold it is out there, it's warm and comfortable inside, as with most buildings I enter. But when the hot weather hits, I don't have aircon to cool it down. Also, when outside, I can wrap up warm, but I can't wrap down cold.

Mars

Staff Member
Thing is, about winter, in nature it is a season of both renewal and rest. Trees shed their leaves, animals hibernate, even ladybirds huddle together. They are not dead, just resting. Mama bears give birth in their dens, suckle their tiny white cubs, sheltered, waiting for summer.

Besides the beauty and austerity of winter, I like the 'sheltered and resting' bit....Any jobs need doing outside? Any DIY? ....nah, it can all wait until summer.☀️

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Winter has always been my favorite time of the year, as there was always that "wonder" would we have snow on Christmas Day....kind of like winning the lottery though in the south of the US; snow doesn't happen much. I can only count a couple of times we had snow flurries. Winter is beautiful and I love looking at the snow....and being in it is okay if I'm dressed warm enough for it. Breezy beach weather is also nice too! 🏖️

Mars

Staff Member
Winter has always been my favorite time of the year, as there was always that "wonder" would we have snow on Christmas Day....kind of like winning the lottery though in the south of the US; snow doesn't happen much. I can only count a couple of times we had snow flurries. Winter is beautiful and I love looking at the snow....and being in it is okay if I'm dressed warm enough for it. Breezy beach weather is also nice too! 🏖️
Yeah, I love the snow too, winter has that mystery and austerity about it.

I guess it really depends on what you like, and every facet of Nature has its unique beauty.
I guess if someone loves deserts you could wax lyrical about the endless heat, the austere beauty of ever-shifting dunes. There is life there too; lizards, beetles, side winders and spiders live there. And those undulating dunes, here today, gone tomorrow, are truly amazing...but hell to live there, for us mere mortals.

Same is with Winter; when you think about the bomb cyclone that is hitting the US right now, my thoughts are with the innocent people that have to endure the wrath of the elements, when Nature unleashes its fury.

I wish a peaceful New Year to all of us here :)

Back
Top Bottom