Artificial sweetener might help boost the immune system

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
We normally hear lots of bad things about artificial sweeteners, but this seems to be a genuine benefit.

A study into an artificial sweetener commonly used in hot drinks and found in diet soft drinks has uncovered an "unexpected effect on the immune system", scientists say.

Researchers at the Francis Crick Institute in London found that consuming a high amount of sucralose lowers activation of T cells - a type of white blood cell - in mice.

While this may initially seem like a worrying thing, the experts are excited by the findings.

If the sweetener is found to have similar effects in humans, it could be used to treat people with autoimmune disorders, including conditions like type 1 diabetes.

Uncrowned

It sounds like it doesn't really affect normal users of this product, but can be a benefit in a medical-grade dose. Although that list of illnesses that it may help is full of stuff that really lacks treatment options and that is a huge plus!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
.....and "they" have been saying that artificial sweeteners affect your thyroid function for years.....and now "they" are blaming artificial sweeteners on the recent rise in heart attacks. "They" are also saying that these sweeteners affect your gut biome, destroying the good bacteria.

Apparently this study says that it lowers your "T" cells....interesting and that it would help those with autoimmune disorders. Fascinating!

I haven't used sweetener's for years. Unsweetened tea 😝. I'd be happy with this news when more studies come out with sound confirmation.

CyberGeek

We normally hear lots of bad things about artificial sweeteners, but this seems to be a genuine benefit.
Only time will tell. There's a lot of mixed research on the link between cancer and sucralose.
Whilst research on mice unveil such correlation, there's no credible evidence to suggest such for humans.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've just abstained from artificial sweeteners for years and years now. I used Stevia for a long time until "they" said it interferes with your gut biome. I don't know, you can only do your best with what you know or what you think you know ;)

CyberGeek

I've just abstained from artificial sweeteners for years and years now. I used Stevia for a long time until "they" said it interferes with your gut biome. I don't know, you can only do your best with what you know or what you think you know ;)
Do you abstain from sugar? ;)
Out of curiosity do you prefer the taste of sugar of sweeteners?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've abstained from sugar all of these years too. I drink my tea plain. :rolleyes: It's very boring. I will eat sugar in a baked item, but still try to watch that too. I prefer the taste of sugar now that I'm off sweeteners. Interesting.

CyberGeek

I've abstained from sugar all of these years too. I drink my tea plain. :rolleyes: It's very boring. I will eat sugar in a baked item, but still try to watch that too. I prefer the taste of sugar now that I'm off sweeteners. Interesting.
Try masala tea. It's well good <3

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I just found it in decaf. Next time I need tea, I'll add it to my list.

live627

Artificial sweeteners taste bitter to me. Really weird to have sweetness with bitter undertones. Gatorade Zero tastes horrible.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
Last week I finally caught a cold for the first time in over a year. I guess it's working. :)

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
Artificial sweeteners taste bitter to me. Really weird to have sweetness with bitter undertones. Gatorade Zero tastes horrible.
Totally agreed, I'd rather drink anything besides Gatorade Zero.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@live627 @FF It's an ironic twist that having an excessively intense sweet taste inverts to bitterness. Perhaps try the following: buy an artificially sweetened drink that you think you'll like and dilute it with water in a 2:1 ratio and see if it tastes better to you. This was actually the case with me and Coca Cola with artificial sweetener. You could experiment with other dilution ratios too, perhaps.

Note that I now longer drink that stuff though or any other soft drinks and steer clear of artificial sweeteners altogether now.

live627

I always use regular sugar to sweeten things, usually black tea. I never drink soda because I can't stand the fizz. Flat soda is palatable, but is way too overpoweringly sweet tasting, so I end up avoiding it altogether. Same with fruit juice. I call apple juice "liquid diabetes".

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Liquid diabetes sounds very apt. Must remember that one.

aussiefooty

What a heap of rubbish.
Artificial sweetners cause cancer. Not adding those into my diet thanks.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
What a heap of rubbish.
Artificial sweetners cause cancer. Not adding those into my diet thanks.

I wouldn't add them into my diet either and they do indeed have a lot of bad effects, not just cancer, but there does appear to be some benefits from them, or they wouldn't have published this study. This can't be ignored and makes for a good talking point.

As I said in my opening line:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
lat soda is palatable, but is way too overpoweringly sweet tasting, so I end up avoiding it altogether.
Not that I want to encourage you to drink something unhealthy, which they all are, but you might find that diluting it makes it taste a lot better. Problem is, if you like it, then you'll just want more of it, so perhaps don't try it...

Back
Top Bottom